cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 10

Cancelled account and lost business phone number

My nephew and his girlfriend recently moved in to a flat attached to my house (same address.) They have went ahead and ordered their own phone line and broadband with BT but because its the same address, its cancelled my BT account and my phone number which i need for my business. Is there any way to resolve this? Thanks in advance

Edit: i did receive a letter saying i had 10 days to contact BT about the change but i didnt receive it til yesterday (12th sep) and the change happened on friday (11th sep)

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Cancelled account and lost business phone number

which ISP did your nephew use for broadband and phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 10

Its BT they have the contract with.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

You may have to resolve this with BT Business, as this is only the residential customer forum.

Its going to be very difficult to get your number back.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 10

Its a residential account i had. But i received calls for my farm business on my line.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 10

I made them call BT yesterday but they (my nephew n his girlfriend) didnt seem very interested in getting it sorted. All they seem to want is faster broadband. I already have fibre but its not fast enough in the flat for them apparantly.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@Tirfergus wrote:
Its a residential account i had. But i received calls for my farm business on my line.

Do you not have a separate business line for the farm, as using a residential account is not permitted?

I assume you were not in a contract with BT, otherwise you would have received cancellation charges.

The only way I can see that you can resolve this now, is to apply for your own line again, then once it is working, then ask BT if you can have your number back. Bear in mind this is going to take some time.

Highlighted
Message 8 of 10

No..my contract ended a few months back. Am i allowed to apply for a new account if they already have one and its the same address?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 10

@Tirfergusyou'll need to order a new line/broadband package from BT again, this will start a new takeover of your nephew and his girlfriends service, it's within their cooling off period so they won't have early termination charges.

In around 14 days your new service with BT will go live, you can then request a renumber to get your old number back, just bear in mind their are no guarantees of this.

Whilst your order to retake your line back is in progress, your nephew and his girlfrind can ring BT and place a new order, this time ask for the 'Easy Assist' team, so it forces a 2nd line installation and doesn't become a takeover again, there might be charges for your newphews new line installation.

This will restore your service and give your nephew his.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 10

@Tirfergus  one other thing to note, you might use the landline for calls, remember that your nephew is the account holder of that line, any chargeable calls you make is liable to your nephew, most likely he opted for pay as you go calls, which is 20p per minute or £12 per hour.

Either ask him to add a calling plan or don't make outbound chargeable calls.

*Edit*
Also, if you use an @btinternet.com email address, it would of been downgraded to free 'Basic Email' when your services were terminated, once your new account is live, contact BT and arrange for the 'Basic Email' to be added to the new account, so it retains the premium features that BT broadband customers have.
If you have any data stored in the BT Cloud, download it because after 60 days of the broadband ceasing, the data is deleted.

0 Ratings