cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Cannot port my number from SKY to nowTV

When I tried to change boradband and landline provider from SKY to nowTV I was told by nowTV that they cannot port my SKY telephone number. They can install a new line and a new number (clearly I don't want that!).

They suggest to go to another provider!

What's next?

Is there anyone who may help?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Cannot port my number from SKY to nowTV

this was a similar post  if you reada post and then post similar information as was requested and take it from there

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Re-Lost-landline-number-during-broadband-switch-please-help/td-...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Well, it is not the same as I did not lose my number. I simply cannot port it from SKY to nowTV 

Why can't nowTV gain the number from SKY?
Who my number belongs to? (I thought it is me! ).
Will I be able to join other broadband / landline and maintain my number? 

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 20

@Yuval_Cohen 

Who was the number with before Sky?  Or was it a new number when you joined Sky?

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

@Yuval_Cohen 

Which provider originally issued you with your phone number, as they will be the owner of that number?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

@Yuval_Cohen 

the problem was similar and the question asked were relevant to help you

have you always had the number and did you post it to sky?  if so who was previous provider

are you still at same address where you originally received number

how long have you had number

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

I think that it was originally by BT (before I moved into the property) then in 2013 move to tesco then 2015 PlusNet and since 2016 Sky broadband.

Yet, according to ofcom, it should be my rights to port the numbe: 
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/we-fight-for-your-right-to-port-a-numb...

Why is it so difficult?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

@Yuval_Cohen wrote:

I think that it was originally by BT (before I moved into the property) then in 2013 move to tesco then 2015 PlusNet and since 2016 Sky broadband.

Yet, according to ofcom, it should be my rights to port the numbe: 
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/we-fight-for-your-right-to-port-a-numb...

Why is it so difficult?

Its not always posiible.

Are you living at the same address that you were, when BT Retail originally issued you with your phone number?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Yes, same address.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

@Yuval_Cohen wrote:
Yes, same address.

I will try to explain why this is important.

Your phone number which was issued by BT Retail, will physically exist on the telephone exchange that your property was connected to when BT Retail issued you with the number. So provided you are at exactly the same address, then you will still be connected to that same exchange. It has to be the same exchange, not just the exchange area code, which covers many exchanges.

All that has happened, it that the number has been marked unavailable as it been ported out to another provider. What is important is that the number is still owned by BT Retail, as each provider has their own number range.

Why the porting has failed, is because Sky do not actually own the number, as it belongs to BT Retail, and would now have reverted back to BT Retail.

Provided that all the information you have provided is correct, and you have not moved, then by transferring back to BT Retail, you should eventually be able to get your number back.

As it that other thread, you would be given a new BT Retail number to start with, but it should be possible to request a renumber back to your original number which you wish to keep.

Bear in mind that moving providers could incur large cancellation charges if you are out of your cancellation period. That is something you will need to check.

Is that any help?

0 Ratings