cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Cannot port my number from SKY to nowTV

Sorry, No!

The number is still with SKY. I did not performed the port / transfer. I still hold the number! But I cannot port it to a new provider!

Why?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

@Yuval_Cohen  Welcome to the community and thanks for posting, in that case you would need to complain to your existing and or chosen new provider as this is not something BT Consumer can help with sorry. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

@Yuval_Cohen wrote:

Sorry, No!

The number is still with SKY. I did not performed the port / transfer. I still hold the number! But I cannot port it to a new provider!

Why?

Because Sky do not own the number, it belongs to BT Retail, they are only "borrowing" it. They do this using software which virtually maps the BT number onto their network  They would have their own number ranges for their customers, as they have their own equipment installed in the BT exchanges.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 20

@NeilO 

They have been advised to try another provider. As the number is owned by BT Retail, then it should be possible to get it back, by moving to BT Retail, provided that they are still connected to the original exchange.

As you have said, there is nothing BT Retail would be able to help with at the moment, I was jus offering a way around the problem, as this has been resolved before.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

@Keith_Beddoe I appreciate that but the issue at hand is between Now TV and Sky for the moment.  If Now TV can't port an number then it is up to them to work with the Openreach Number port team to resolve any issues. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

@NeilO 

This was the other thread which was sorted out.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Retrieving-lost-number-which-sky-didn-t-port/td-p/1902495

As you have said, its up to the Openreach number port team. But I can see why it has failed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 20

@Yuval_Cohenwrote:

Sorry, No!

Why?

Hi.

If you have a quick look at the OFCOM website :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

and download the spreadsheet that contains your number range (note the numbers exclude the leading zero). The line in the spreadsheet will show to whom the range is allocated.

Message 18 of 20

Thanks for the spreadsheet. For my landline range it shows:
Allocated,
CP Name: Vodafone Ltd (C&W)
Number length: 2+8
Allocation date: 11/09/2013

So, does this poor any light, why is it so complicated to port this number from SKY to nowTV?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 20

Then you must have been mistaken when you said that BT Retail originally issued you with your number.

People quite often assume that because it is a "BT" line, its a BT Retail phone number, when it can actually be any provider, in your case it must have been Vodaphone who originally  provided your phone number, over an Openreach line.

In that case, there is nothing that BT Retail, or anybody on this forum can do to help. I would suggest that if you want to keep your number, you will have to stay with Sky. Its odd really, as I thought Sky owned NowTV?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 20

@Yuval_Cohenwrote:
Thanks for the spreadsheet. For my landline range it shows:
Allocated,
CP Name: Vodafone Ltd (C&W)
Number length: 2+8
Allocation date: 11/09/2013

So, does this poor any light, why is it so complicated to port this number from SKY to nowTV?

It does help, but shows the number range was allocated to Cable & Wireless, who were taken over by Vodafone. They have their own exchanges, so I'm afraid the issue is with Sky. Although nowTV are "owned" by Sky, I'm not sure how the porting would work.

0 Ratings