cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
niverpool52
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Cannot receive incoming calls

Hi, for the past few days I have been unable to receive incoming calls on my BT landline, although I can make calls and my internet works fine. A line check revealed nothing, but I could then receive calls for a few hours. Next morning I had the same issue. Again, it worked after a line check, again till the following morning. If anyone tried to ring, it rings once at their end, but not at mine, and the call then ends. I was first told it would need an engineer visit, which I cancelled when I appeared able to receive calls. When the issue recurred, they then said there was a BT problem and Openreach would try to solve it by another 3 days. Anyone else had such issues?
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cannot receive incoming calls

Can you try just a known working phone into the test point of your main telephone socket? Ring your home number from a mobile and see if it works. If it does there is something within your home setup causing a problem. If it still trips the call the fault is external to your premises.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
niverpool52
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks Dave for your reply. Our master socket is an old one, so doesn't have a test point. I have tried ringing my home phone from a mobile, but the mobile rings only once, and then the call is terminated. The landline does not ring at all. Ian
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

I suguest you un plug everything you can, filters, skybox, extension cables, router etc and try the test again. With a master socket type you have that is as much as you can do to prove the fault in or out the house.
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

It sounds like 'ring trip', and on your second report of the issue it looks like a 'line' issue was detected when they tested your line ( the tester indicating the fault was away from your home, so no need to warn about charges or for you to be in )....as OR have been advised , presumably they will locate and fix the issue probably without you seeing an engineer....FWIW, 'ring trip' could be a battery or earth contact on your line, possibly down to water getting into a cable joint, this can also cause noise on the line,  you could try dialing 17070 and take the quiet line test, but if your phones are cordless 'DECT' phones, they can be quite good at eliminating noise so you don't hear it, so if you have a corded phone that could be better for this noise test.

Obviously the other thing to ensure is that this problem is still present with the phone directly plugged in the test port of the master socket, eliminating any of you own wiring etc as the cause 

0 Ratings
niverpool52
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Thanks. Our master socket is an old type and doesn't have a test port.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@Iniltours, the OP does not have a linebox, only a master socket.