Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonsox
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Cannot report damage to an overhead phone cable

Go to solution
Hello,
       In the recent high winds a branch fell onto my phone cable and whilst it did not completely severe it, the outer sheath of the cable has parted leaving only the thin inner wires connected. The Phone & Broadband still of course work and no fault is reported on the line. However it is only a matter of a very short time before the inner wires part and I am left disconnected.
           I seem unable to report this or get an engineer to attend .....It seems that if my phone is still working there is no mechanism by which I can get an engineer to attend and repair the cable before it breaks completely.
          I have been on the phone for ages being passed back & forth between Open Reach & BT.  I am told by one that the need to report a ‘Non service affecting fault’ and by the other that I should ask for them to raise a DRO  (Damage Report Overhead?) but neither seem able to progress this. How can I proceed! The damaged cable is on my property from a pole to my house.
                                                                                Thanks
                                                                                       John
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Cannot report damage to an overhead phone cable

Go to solution
0 Ratings
jonsox
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Have tried most of the options suggested but again had difficulty because of the stock answers the BT call centre people have....if the problem does not fit exactly into what they have answers for and the line is not at the moment showing a fault they seem unable to proceed.

...Finally I phoned BT for a 3rd or 4th time and asked them this time to raise a 'DRO' (damage Report overhead)  Open reach told me to do this.... This time the call centre guy seemed to understand and said this would be done but this is not reported on the open fault report page. So guess I will have to wait and see. Since it was my tree branch which damaged the cable I guess I will have to pay....Don't mind this too much..... but why is it so difficult to break out of the loop and report a problem which is not covered by the call centre answer sheet?

Will let you know if I get a result

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi jonsox,

As the damage is within the boundaries of your property we need to report this to Openreach for you and the fault should show on the tracker I'm sorry if this hasn't been done yet. If you need any help getting this sorted please fill in the contact the mods webform and we'll be happy to help. You'll find the link by clicking on my username.

Neil

0 Ratings
jonsox
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hello,

I did contact the Mods on 07/04/15 in response to their message telling me they would need to report this proble to OpenReach. and that the report should ten appear on the currently open fault report. Since then the fault report has been closed...(not by me)  and I have not heard back from the Mods.......OK it is not quite 48 hrs since I emailed them but I thought they should know that the original fault report had been closed so I emailed them again.

I wonder why it is so difficult to report a problem that does not fall into any of the pre determined catergories?.....I seems if your phone is working then you cannot have a problem!!

Must I wait until the connection finally breaks (see my original post) before a problem can be recognised? Luckily I have WiFi with fon in that event so am still connected as far as email is concerned but since I have no internet phone I will have no telephone.

I am willing to pay for the repair if required to but the seems to be no mechanism by which I can request an engineer to attend.

Hope my latest email to the Mods will bring a result!

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
jonsox
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Hello Again,

Was contacted by Daveid Moon from the moderators yesterday and today an enginner turned up and repaired the line.....Great!....and many Thanks.........

Hope BT & Open reach can modify thier online fault reporting such that faults similar to mine can be reported more easily

Thanks again & Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Beeje
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hi all,

I alos have this issues and I am with Virgin, the BT cable from my house to the roadside pole is hanging down due to high winds, please could you arrange for an engineer to come out and fix this please.

Thanks a lot

Marc

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

This is the page you need, its nothing to do with BT Retail, so this forum cannot help.

http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/who-to-contact/

BT do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers.

0 Ratings
bernardt
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Hi,

I am trying to report the fact that the cover of the box on the front of my house, where the overhead phone line comes in, has come off. The line is working, but the cover needs to be replaced to stop rain water getting in. We do not have the cover.

I've tried the Open Reach phone line, but none of the options apply. They seem to imply that fittings on your property are not their responsiblity, but I can't find anywhere on this site to report it either.

Help, please!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi

I have the same problem, we disconnected our BT line because the service was dreadful and we had a catalogue of errors, so now we are with Virgin. 

We reported a hanging cable to openreach and they came and "made it safe" but it is still hanging and has not been reattached to the telegraph pole. 

Openreach said we need to contact our service provider and ask them to reconnect it but our service provider, Virgin, do not need the cable so they won't report it. 

BT won't report it because we don't have a line "live" at the moment, now we just have a cable hanging down which is unacceptable.

Thoughts????

0 Ratings