Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KyleP93
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Changing Address on Openreach Database

Hi all,

Apologies firstly if this is a duplicate but my search of the forum hasn't been fruitful.

Essentially I'm moving into a new build flat, however the site is a former pub. After much chasing between various suppliers, openreach and my developer I learnt that the Openreach work was done before the flats had been given their address and postcode so it was all logged against the pubs address.

This makes sense, I can see on broadband chekers the services and speeds I can get when I use the pub in the address checkers etc.. Where as the flat address throws up an error everytime I try. My developer was kind enough to call his contact who carried out the Openreach work who is telling me that BT/Sky or whoever I choose to go with should request broadband using the former address and ask to update the address while processing the order. 

Both Sky and BT have now told me they cannot do that and Openreach need to do this on their side. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Changing Address on Openreach Database

@KyleP93 

You will need to choose a provider first, and then get a phone line installed. Once it is working, the Openreach database will get updated, and you will be able to order broadband. There is no point in looking beforehand, as the information would be incorrect.

All provider apart from Virgin Media, use the Openreach database.

This forum can only help if you are going to be using BT Retail as your provider.

0 Ratings
KyleP93
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Hi @Keith_Beddoe  - I'm willing to use any provider who can force it through to be quite honest at this point. Both Sky and BT are telling me they cannot log an order for me, hence me reaching out on here. My understanding is that BT might have a bit more favourable relationship with Openreach than other providers so I was hoping someone here could help me with what to order or what to say to the people I speak with on the phone at BT.

I will try calling asking for a phoneline first, althrough I don't want a phone line if I can help it. Like many people, I don't use a landline. Can the order for both not be done at the same time?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

If you are going to choose BT Retail, then I would start online, instead of over the phone, unless online does not work.

https://www.bt.com/landline/

The property must be correct on the Royal Mail Postcode Database first. If that is not the case then you need to get that sorted with Royal Mail now.

As there is not an existing line, I doubt if you could order both the phone and broadband together, as there will be no data for the connection.

You must have a phone line, whether you use it or not, as its required to carry the broadband connection.

If you have any problems placing an order with BT Retail, then please post back here for help.

0 Ratings
KyleP93
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

@Keith_Beddoe 

So to clear it up, my address is 100% correct with royal mail.

There are 2 addresses in play here (obviously not posting the actual addresses):

The old address the Openreach work is logged against and the address in the Openreach database (Pub, Cavendish Street, AB01 9AB)

My actual new address on the site on the now knocked down pub which is on the royal mail database but shows no connection when I search it on multiple sites to check services available for broadband (Flat, Cavendish Street, AB01 9AC)

The work done to provide the infasttructure was done against AB01 9AB for the pub and does return services available. Shall I log an order under that despite it being incorrect? Openreach confrimed to the devleoper the address for the infastructure is still there instead of the new post code used by the flats. 

Hope that makes sense? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

You must use the address which is registered with Royal Mail.

0 Ratings
KyleP93
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

Okay, I can't put in an order against that address. 

I need Openreach to change that address they have to the same as the one with Royal Mail, any idea how I can do that?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Provided you are going to place your order with BT Retail, I will ask for advice, as it may need an ORDI request raised.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Hi @KyleP93,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry for the problems you're having getting an order placed due to the mix up with your address details.   You should still be able to get an order placed for a line only using this link - https://www.bt.com/landline/deals

If the address doesn't appear properly when you enter the postcode, there is a section underneath where you can manually enter the address.  This will raise the order with the address showing as bronze and it will prompt Openreach to carry out a survey to confirm the routing.   Once the routing is updated the order will then progress as normal.  You can then add broadband once you have the line up and running.  We aren't able to raise an ORDI request where there isn't currently a working line.

Cheers,

Robbie

KyleP93
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

Thanks @RobbieMac  - in that case am I going to have to take out a landline deal then another broadband deal on top?

Obviously that's going to end up more expensive than one of the existing 'broadband' only deals or can we change that once we've got the line confirmed?

0 Ratings