cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cuillin
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Compensation Claims For Loss Of Service

I experienced a 12 day loss of service of my BT landline as did the farmhouse and three other properties nearby.

I am self employed and do all of my trading online. I estimate this loss of service has cost me c. £1300 in lost sales.

BT’s management of the fault resolution was shambolic. BT Open Reach sent four different engineers out to my property over a period of 12 days and it was only the fourth engineer to come out who fixed the problem, a cable wrongly installed at the local exchange.

The day after I reported the fault I was scheduled to change service providers from BT - who gave typically been unresponsive and unhelpful whenever I had had service issues - to Sky. This changeover did not happen because my landline was down and BT continued to ‘manage’ the revolution of my fault.

Once my landline was finally restored I contacted BT Customer Service to request compensation. At that point they turned around and said they were no responsible as I had switched to Sky!!!

I have refused to pay my final bill until my claim for compensation is met. One the one hand BT Customer Service are in a dialogue with me about my claim, on the other hand I am getting aggressive and threatening calls from 0800 028 5085, BT’s debt recovery department who are unaware that I have an outstanding claim for compensation.

This has reinforced my decision to leave BT. The left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. To be left for TWELVE DAYS WITHOUT A LANDLINE WHEN MY BUSINESS IS ALL ONLINE AND DEPENDENT UPON BROADBAND IS UNACCEPTABLE BUT UNFORTUNATELY NOT THAT UNUSUAL WITH BT WHO DON’T KNOW THE MEANING IF CUSTONER SERVICE.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Compensation Claims For Loss Of Service

You may have a problem claiming for loss of business if you are paying for a residential line. This is a breach of the terms and conditions.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

See https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

These terms and conditions were last updated on: 30 June 2018.

Read Paragraph 6a.

You will find similar restrictions on residential accounts, with other providers, so I would recommend that you switch to a proper business product if you expect to get compensation in the future.

Cuillin
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Understand that but for the past 3 weeks BT have simply refused to accept any liability for the 12 day loss of service and have not offered any form of compensation.

They are arguing I have to make a claim against Sky because my service is now with them, but I was with BT when I reported the fault and received a call from a BT Customer Service Supervisor a week after Sky were supposed to takeover my landline that BT were responsible for the fault resolution not Sky.

This is BT passing the buck and trying to get my reported fault and subsequent compensation claim taken off their stats.

My next step is a formal complaint to Ofcom. In the meantime I will not be paying BT’s final bill and will continue to ignore the harassing and threatening phone calls from their debt recovery team.
0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 5 of 9

@Cuillin

Here is the Customer Complaints Code of Practice, you may want to read how they deal with complaints, and ways to raise one. 

I doubt you will get any compensation, you may get a reduction in the bill to the value of 12 days loss of Broadband and Phone. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

By not settling an outstanding debt you will end up losing your service when you get disconnected. Obviously this will impact on your business.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Either way, any compensation would be very tiny and restricted to daily line rental credit.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9394/~/customer-service-guarantee

The damage to your business if you get a default on your credit record, which will happen if you do not pay your bill, would be not worth the hassle.

Most faults are on the external network, which is provided and maintained by Openreach, which all providers, apart from Virgin Media, use.  Changing providers is not going to make the service any more reliable, if they use Openreach.

iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

As others have already said, if you want 'business' type levels of service , and compensation , you need to be on a business line tarrif, and if you weren't on that with BT, you doubtless with fail in any attempt to claim consequential loss, (over and above residential line compensation) after all you would have been running a business on a residential line.

If you are now using Sky's residential service, it's worth noting that they purchase a cheaper/slower level of repair service from Openreach, so with Sky , potentially it takes longer to repair lines as they pay less than BT to OR for their level of service.

If a fault occurred around the time you were switching providers, it's unfortunate, but the order to switch you , if you were migrating provider, rather than getting a new line , is entirely an exchange based operation and an existing line fault wouldn't affect that process, so in other words , if you were to be switched to Sky equipment in the exchange on a particular day , that would have taken place, irrespective of the fault condition on the line, the engineer who does the exchange work would not be aware of a fault report on the line he or she was moving, although it would complicate matters when you call for provider for an update , your old provider would see you were no longer a customer of theirs ,the fault report with OR from BT would still exist on the OR system .

Its an imperfective process, after all it's an unusual set of circumstances, which probably has no process to manage , but the 'fault' lies with Ofcom as they mandate that there is a separation between the end user and Openreach.
OR asked Ofcom for the ability to deal with faults independently of the service provider, but Sky and Talk Talk rejected the proposal , they want any communication with you, the end user to be via them, that is in part is why you have to speak to your provider when chasing a fault that OR are dealing with, you started a fault with one company and by the resolution of it, you were with another.

if the fault affected your neighbour's as well as yourself , then presumably , if they also reported the fault to their own providers , the OR repair that fixed their lines would have fixed yours to, even  if you hadn't switched or even reported it faulty, and if your neighbour's were affected, it's unlikely that an exchange problem would affect them as well as yourself, so the problem almost certainly wasn't in the exchange but the local access network

GOB
Message 9 of 9

Actually that is not true - when we switched to BT we were previously on a business package - BT talked us through our needs and advised us to go for a residential package.
0 Ratings