Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
captainweird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Complicated intermittent fault on Voice line

Go to solution

Openreach engineer just left, having found no fault, so I thought I'd put this one out for suggestions.

We have an intermittent fault on our landline where we have no dial tone and we can't ring out. It sometimes fixes itself, but the problem always clears if someone rings us (or I ring the landline from the mobile).

This may be related to an issue where get get a noisy line that can be similarly cleared by dialling in from another number.

Pretty much all the wiring has been replaced (socket to network, pair to the local cabinet, pair from local cabinet to exchange.). Broadband is never affected, whenever an engineer visits things are fine and the line tests out OK.

Anyone got a tiny clue? Or is it haunted?

Thanks, Phil

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Complicated intermittent fault on Voice line

Go to solution

There may be someone along , to give 'real world ' advice on what the problem is likely to be and maybe offer an opinion on the engineer who has already visited you, but it sounds like a 'HR' , a high resistance connection somewhere in your 'line', anecdotally it seems  that sending 'ringing current ' down the line ( done by you or someone else calling your number ) temporarily causes the HR to be less high resistance , and the line works for a while, but soon returns to the faulty state...the 'noise' on the line is another clue to this quite common fault condition.

These types of problems can be more apparent in bad weather, if it's dry and sunny, the problem can seem to disappear , only to reappear the next time it rains, and obviously if it's 'fine' when the OR person turns up, the line may seem OK to him or her....TBH , these days they have some quite sophisticated testers that should spot the problem even if the weather at the time of their visit is good

Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @captainweird,

I agree with @iniltous, it does sound like it could be a HR fault on your line.

I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @captainweird,

I have been checking your line and can see the last two engineer notes. They believe the issue is no longer there but I can't see where any changes were made. I think it would be best that I monitor this over the next week with you in case you have any further issues. I'll test your line again tomorrow and again on Friday. If you notice anything on your side, please let me know.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Highlighted
captainweird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi, Daniel,

thanks for your input, I spoke to the engineer from the exchange today. He checked over the wiring and replaced the line fuses, which can apparently give issues, but the problem wasn't apparent while he was working.

it hasn't reoccurred since, and was happening at least twice a day before, so fingers crossed!

thanks, Phil

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

You are very welcome Phil.

I'm glad to hear the issue hasn't happened since. Hopefully replacing the fuses has fixed it. I ran another test this morning and it's testing ok. I'll be out of the office both tomorrow and Thursday so I'll be running my next test on Friday. Any issues before then, please let us know.

Thanks

DanielS

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi Phil,

I'm glad to see that your line is performing as it should be without any errors.

If you have any problems in the future, please feel free to get back in touch with us.

Take care

Thanks

DanielS

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
captainweird
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Yes, it's better than it's been for many years, so thanks for your help.

Incidentally, the lasttwo times I called BT I actually got through to helpful people in the UK, this makrs a quantum leap in BT customer service. Not sure if this is a new strategy, or if I was just lucky, but I actually managed to talk to people without wanting to eat my own leg in frustration -please feed this back to management!

Thanks again, Phil

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

You are more than welcome.

That's where we're going as a company. I've seen it in action first hand and we'll continue to bring calls back to the UK.

Enjoy your evening :smileyhappy:

Thanks

DanielS

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings