Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jenxy5
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Connecting BT8500

Hello

My BT8500 Twin is a couple of years old and has given no problems until today. My wife attempted to ring me at home and the phone did not ring. When we checked there was no dial tone. I unplugged it and plugged in an old phone into the socket and that worked fine. So the line is good. I then plugged the 8500 back in and still no dial tone. I plugged it into a different, upstairs socket and it works fine in that one. So my question is why does it work in one socket but not another whilst both sockets work fine with an old phone?

David

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
pompey1898
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Connecting BT8500

If you had no dial tone in one socket then I think there must a fault with that socket.

Have you tried the test socket ?

0 Ratings
jenxy5
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

I keep an old handset as I live in a little village which does have an occasional power cut so I do have a phone which I can take out of a drawer and plug in in an emergency. So using my emergency phone I do have a dial tone in both sockets but no dial tone in one of the two sockets using the bt8500
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 4 of 7

@jenxy5 wrote:
I keep an old handset as I live in a little village which does have an occasional power cut so I do have a phone which I can take out of a drawer and plug in in an emergency. So using my emergency phone I do have a dial tone in both sockets but no dial tone in one of the two sockets using the bt8500  So is it impractical to keep the 8500 in the socket where it does work ?

0 Ratings
jenxy5
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

It’s what I’m doing at the moment but firstly it would be nice to have the answer phone controls where I want them and secondly I would just like to know. I get frustrated by things that don’t work as they should
0 Ratings
Highlighted
pompey1898
Expert
Message 6 of 7

@jenxy5 wrote:
It’s what I’m doing at the moment but firstly it would be nice to have the answer phone controls where I want them and secondly I would just like to know. I get frustrated by things that don’t work as they should

I understand and feel exactly the same as you. 

Maybe the the plug on the 8500 has developed a fault ?

I am a total noice so perhaps some of the ex-BT experts/gurus on here have a suggestion ?

0 Ratings
jenxy5
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Well I wondered if it was the plug so I swapped the plug and cable from the two phones over and it didn’t make a difference
0 Ratings