Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ryRUINED
Message 1 of 4

Connecting extension sockets

Go to solution

Hey, 

I have BT installed on the master socket, all working fine. I have extension sockets upstairs, they are hardwired into the walls, but they were not connected when I had the BT engineer around, should they have been connected? I want to use the phone upstairs now but the line is dead.

BT want to charge me to send an engineer round, but I feel they should have been connected when I paid for installation originally. 

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Connecting extension sockets

Go to solution

BT would not have connected extensions, as they are the responsibility of the customer.

The front bottom section of the master socket is removable. On the back of the removable section are some terminals. Only pins 2 and 5 are needed to be connected to the extension wiring. They are probably coloured white and white/blue.

You can always look at the back of the extension socket to see what colour is connected to 2 and 5.

If you are not sure, you may be able to find someone locally who can connect them cheaper than BT.

See http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/wiring_info.htm

ryRUINED
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Seems a bit of a classic BT move, simply not connecting a couple of wires when they are there anyway. 

But thanks for the info. 

0 Ratings
ryRUINED
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

So i took a look at the master socket, and the BT engineer actually disconnected the entensions which were in place. 

There they were, clear as day, just hanging there, the ends bare, so i simply put them back and hey presto it worked!

Thank you for the info of blue / blue white, perfect! 

0 Ratings