Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
St3v1e
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Connecting old adsl master socket from fibre box

Hi to the forum

I moved into a house which used to have a BT landline and internet. The whole house has phone extension sockets and the master socket is double one, “ADSL V1.0” just like this.

Image result for ADSL V1.0

I have a fibre to home box and I want to connect the landline signal to the master.

The landline phone works only if connected directly to the TEL1 socked in the fibre box.

I read in the guidance that I’m supoosed to connect the RJ11 cable from the WiFi hub into the master socket, which is what thr engineer did.

But then the master socket does not have a phone signal.

The TEL1 socket from the fibre box which does have the phone signal has a standard british phone plug which can also reach the master socket but that occupies the standard british phone socket in there.

The original wiring for the master socket is from a cable from the old BT line wired into the socket, and does not have a proper plug.

I know little about this but it seems to me that I should be using the cable from the TEL1 socket in the fibre box, to supply the phone line to the master socket, but that means I would have to wire it directly removing the old cable.

Sorry, if this makes more sense with a picture I’ll find a way of posting here.
Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Connecting old adsl master socket from fibre box

There is no concept of a master socket if you have FTTP (fibre to the premises) and  fibre voice, voice is delivered to the Tel1 socket. The hub only connects to the master socket if you have FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) which relies on the copper phone line to provide broadband and voice. The Hub WAN socket connects to the fibre ONT. You just need an extension lead for the Tel1 socket.

St3v1e
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for the quick reply.

Does that mean I can connect the voice cable from Tel1 to themy old master socket and therefore use all the existing sockets around the house, or I can only get a long cable or extension directly into the phone?

If I can connect to the wall, how do I do that connection?

Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Yes, if you connect Tel1 to the phone socket on the master you will have telephony at all your extension sockets but obviously won't be able to plug a phone inthe master socket. The simplest solution would be to just use a plug in doubler socket at the master socket.

Image result for phone socket doubler

St3v1e
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thanks, I just tried that - connecting directly from Tel1 to the old master, but it did not ressuscitate the other sockets. Am I not connecting it to an “exit” socket?

This old master is fed by the redundant cable from the old landline. Shouldn’t I connect Tel1 into the master instead of that cable? That would mean wiring it
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

All sockets wire in parallel, it is not an "exit" socket. Yes, you can wire Tel1 to the incoming terminals on the old master socket after removing the old incoming cable. Try disconnecting the old incoming cable first with the lead connecting Tel1 to the front socket as before, it's possible the incoming feed has a short circuit or still connected to exchange equipment.
St3v1e
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Thanks again

I just disconnected the old phone cable and did not work still. But I’m starting to give up as I can live with plugging direct to the fibre box.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I’m actually really surprised you’ve been given FVA when there is a Copper Network available to your property as Openreach are in the process of shutting the FVA Service down.

The new Huawei and Nokia ONT’s don’t even come with a TELE Port. Once Openreach release the SOGEA Service it’ll be up to the owning CP to provide any Voice Services via VoIP.

Buy anyway, it is possible to connect ordinary Metallic Path Extension Phone Sockets to the TELE Port of the ONT but it sounds like the Extensions in your new house were probably never working in the first place.