cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uggss
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Connection delays

im 60 years old and i remember times when mobile phones were just a dream. Back then you could move into a new home, call B T or GPO if your that old and the phone would be on the next day so why why is it that in such a technological age that we live in today do i have to wait 17days for connection?

We should be moving forwards not backwards. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Connection delays

@uggss 

I think you will find that in the 1960s, you could wait months for a phone line, and even then, it could be a "shared service" line. I remember, as I started in 1968 and we were fitting loads of shared service lines, complete with copper earthing stake.

Now of course, BT Retail do not provide any lines, they are provided by Openreach, who have to handle all order from other providers as well, hence the delay.

You can thank privatisation for that.

uggss
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Appreciate your reply, and remember actually having a shared line as a kid in 60's early 70's, still remember the old landline number, actually have the back end and area code as a mobile number now, i bought it on line, and not cheap. But when i say new home its new to me, it already has line installed, in fact my order with openreach is 'Self installation' which should make it easier and quicker. Just seems to me that some things appear to be getting slower and the populace just accept it and more we accept it the more they do it, like transferiing money un the bank, the money always magically dissappears at the touch of a button then seems to float around in mid air till it lands wher you send it 3 days later.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Switched on the next day, that’s a lie because back in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s if you wanted a line you sometimes had to wait months for it. 

Also clearly you’re not just getting a Phone Service, you’re also getting a   Broadband and contrary to popular belief setting up your Broadband isn’t just a case of, ‘Flicking a Switch’ as most people think it is.

A lot of work goes on in the background with regards to your Broadband both with BT Wholesale and Openreach if you’re getting either a VDSL or FTTP Service.

If you needed the Phone/Broadband sooner then you should’ve ordered it sooner.

0 Ratings
uggss
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

No one said specifically 50's 60's or 70's but late 70"s onwards, you moved into a premises that had already had a line fitted and had already been occupied then the phone was just disabled not disconnected, all they had to do was enable the line and yes you could call British Telecom as it was known one day and be switched on the next.

So if so much has to go on behind the scenes does this make it a good thing or a bad thing?

I am in a property that has a line installed, that has a BT masterplug, that has been ordered as self installation yey still takes 17 days to connect? I could walk a wire to the nearest exchange quicker than that.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@uggss wrote:

No one said specifically 50's 60's or 70's but late 70"s onwards, you moved into a premises that had already had a line fitted and had already been occupied then the phone was just disabled not disconnected, all they had to do was enable the line and yes you could call British Telecom as it was known one day and be switched on the next.

That was when British Telecom was the only supplier. so they could leave a line connected with "soft" dial tone.

Now it has to be disconnected, as Openreach can re-use that routing for any other provider.

If its a working BT Retail line, and the person moving in is also a BT Retail customer, then a Working Line Takeover can be arranged, and that is much quicker, provided the last owners had not requested a cease, as that causes lots of delays.

pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

@uggsswrote:

Appreciate your reply, and remember actually having a shared line as a kid in 60's early 70's, still remember the old landline number, actually have the back end and area code as a mobile number now, i bought it on line, and not cheap. But when i say new home its new to me, it already has line installed, in fact my order with openreach is 'Self installation' which should make it easier and quicker. Just seems to me that some things appear to be getting slower and the populace just accept it and more we accept it the more they do it, like transferiing money un the bank, the money always magically dissappears at the touch of a button then seems to float around in mid air till it lands wher you send it 3 days later.

HI @uggss ,

@Keith_Beddoe& @Starwire  have more than adequately reponded on your recollections of the "good old days".

With respect to your comments on banking.  Clearly I have no idea who you bank with but "faster payments" have worked brilliantly for the last 10 years.  Initially guaranteeing payment within two hours but for the last few years transfers from one of my banks to another is instant.

See here :- http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/how-faster-payments-works

I get a feeling that your memory is playing tricks on you

uggss
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Bank to bank, but i still pay bills or transfer money and get the message allow 2-3 working days, its all to the company, bank, credit companies advantage.

Why, you can buy something on line, instantly with a debit or credit card, but try getting a refund at the same speed, 7-10 working days is the usual.

Nothing wrong with my memory, you just want to disagree regardless.

Still doesnt answer tge question as to why when i ordered BT homehub at my last premises the equipment arrived 3 days later and the engineer checked and installed 5 days after that, total 8 days yet a change of address to a home that needs no engineer just a transfer is 17 days.

But i'll hazard a guess as to why, cos BT cant start charging me until the equipment was installed so the sooner the engineer called the better for them. 

Now it dont matter how long it takes to transfer the line cos im under a fixed period contract and im being charged regardless.

0 Ratings
uggss
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

• Bank to bank, but i still pay bills or transfer money and get the message allow 2-3 working days, its all to the company, bank, credit companies advantage.

Why, you can buy something on line, instantly with a debit or credit card, but try getting a refund at the same speed, 7-10 working days is the usual.

Nothing wrong with my memory, you just want to disagree regardless.

Still doesnt answer tge question as to why when i ordered BT homehub at my last premises the equipment arrived 3 days later and the engineer checked and installed 5 days after that, total 8 days yet a change of address to a home that needs no engineer just a transfer is 17 days.

But i'll hazard a guess as to why, cos BT cant start charging me until the equipment was installed so the sooner the engineer called the better for them. 

Now it dont matter how long it takes to transfer the line cos im under a fixed period contract and im being charged regardless.

0 Ratings