cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tilly0830
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Copper Line Fault - No Broadband/Can't make calls

Wonder if anyone could help with my query?  I live in a rural area with no Infinity but a copper line.  We bought the house in February 2015 and since having our phone connected and paying for line rental and broadband we've not been able to make calls or have any broadband connection for any length of time (over 2 hours).  Obviously have tried all the online help, calls, fault reporting.  Last week I had a visit from an Openreach engineer who confirmed that I did have a phone line although the noise and crackle on the line was so bad we could only tell that by him using his equipment to test the line.  The engineer then told me that the house further up the road who is connected via the same copper line had also reported a fault.  It seems that the line runs through this customer's trees and has rubbed up against two of the trees to the extent that the copper line has now detoriated to a state where it is virtually not working and keeps "earthing'.  The engineer said that we'd have to wait until this customer cuts his trees down because Openreach won't mend the cable until he does.

First question - can I do anything about this?  If the fault is already reported is there anything more I can do?  How do I find out where that fault is up to?

Second question - should I be paying for a phone line and broadband when I haven't got either?  The problem is when I ring the fault line they tell me I have got a phone line - which I have but it is of such poor quality I can't make or receive calls or connect to broadband.

Any advice gratefully received.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Copper Line Fault - No Broadband/Can't make calls

@Tilly0830

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting, I'm sorry to read about the fault with your line. I've moved your post to the line faults section of the forum.

If you need any help getting this sorted please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll chase this up with Openreach. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Tilly0830
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Many thanks - I've used the "contact the mods" link and filled in the form. Any advice gratefully received....
0 Ratings
Tilly0830
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Hi Emmett (or anyone picking this up)

I missed your call yesterday and emailed back to ask for a call this evening at the same time, but no one has called.  Could someone get back to me please as I still have a number of queries/questions.

Many thanks

Anita

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 5 of 15

Hi Tilly0830, 

I have let Emmett know and he is due to give you a call today to discuss. He also has your emails in so if he doesn't reach you on the phone he will send you an email response. 

Thanks,

OlgaC

0 Ratings
Tilly0830
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Re: Phone line fault

I'm trying to get in contact with Emmett from BTCare becuase of my ongoing phone fault - could you tell me how I do that please?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Tilly0830
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Could someone ask Emmett to call me - I missed his call this evening and have emailed him to ask him to call back but he hasn't.

Many thanks

Anita

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

@Tilly0830

reply to the email you were sent I have asked for the forum moderators to help you on your own post

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Hi Tilly0830,

I had a look at our queue and can see Emmett has received your reply. He will be back in touch once he is back in the office.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 15

I have requested a mod contact you
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings