cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stugizmo
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Cordless phone not ringing

I have a BT Freestyle 750[3 phone] cordless system purchased in November 2011 with base station plugged into incoming phone line.  I also have ADSL filters for my broadband router, connections to two Sky boxes and of course for the phone itself.   Everything was fine for 12 months then incoming calls ceased to ring.  We have a dial tone and can make calls out. Our line has been checked is said to be OK.  The phone handbook indicates there may be a problem if there are too many RENS [Ringer Equivalence  Numbers] connected to any one telephone line.  I therefore disconnected one of the Sky box lines and the ringer was restored.  Recently the problem occurred again so I disconnected the other Sky line and the ringer came back.

However, [with only the phone and router connected] we now just get a single ring or nothing at all.  I have checked all connections again but can't find the fault.  The handbook does however state "with different telephone types there is no guarantee of ringing, even when the REN is less than 4".  I have seen elsewhere some reference to problems with a capacitor but am not sure how to check this.   Has anyone come across this problem or could suggest what I might do to solve it?   Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cordless phone not ringing

Do you pay BT for your line rental and phone calls?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
stugizmo
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

No - the line is currently with AOL Talk Talk who say its OK

0 Ratings
stugizmo
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Since nothing further heard or any response I'm assuming I'll not be getting anywhere with this.  However, if there is any future in the query, would I be right in thinking that Open Reach might ultimately be the people to sort it even though I now pay AOL for the line?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

You would need to report the fault to AOL who would arrange for openreach to do the repair however I would ensure it is not a fault with either your phone or wiring before they attend or you could be in for a hefty callout charge.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings