Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Crackle on mum's landline

Hi

I am hoping someone can help me. My mum's land line has a bad crackle on it; it has been intermittent for years but is currently very bad and it is the only way I can contact her. It is the same with different phones so I don't think it is the phone. When we reported it years ago, BT sent a test down the line but each time this would clear it for a period, so then they said there was nothing to fix.

The added complexity is I cannot visit to do any tests or use different sockets/phones myself and my mum has dementia so cannot follow any instructions to plug things in or swap things round.  My grandma is there too but cannot hear me over the crackle on the line!

I don't mind arranging an engineer visit but I don't have any of her account details and I can't get hold of anyone at BT.

Any help would be gratefully received! Thank you

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Crackle on mum's landline

I have the forum mods to see what they can do but might be difficult without account details.  The mods are prioritising vulnerable and elderly . They will post here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thank you!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Can I suggest whilst you are waiting for the Mods to get back to you that you may want to try and locate the account details. The MODs may need to refer to it before they can assist you. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

If the noise is being cleared by the line test I’m pretty certain the fault would be a Rectified Loop. 

It’s quite common for the Line Test to burn these out because during the test the Test Head applies Voltage to the line to test the Insulation Resistance and this is what burns out the Rectified Loop, it can clear it anywhere from a few minutes to a few weeks.

99 times out of 100 Rectified Loops are usually round on Customers Equipment or Internal Wiring.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 6

Hi @Caroline3 welcome to the forum and sorry that your Mum's line is noisy. We would require some level of validation and hopefully, you have managed to locate the account details since last night. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we'll be happy to help you with this.

cheers

John

0 Ratings