Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newstarter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Crackling Noise on line

Go to solution

Hello - I am aware that this issue has been experienced my people in the past, including myself, but I wonder if there is now a firm solution ! A crackling noise has developed on my voice landline over the last 9 months or so. It has gradually got worse lately. An Open Reach engineer fitted a new Master Socket 5c about 3 years ago because of a similar noise issue. All has been OK until say 9 months ago. I have tried switching off all devices in the house (computers etc), and then connecting a corded handset into the test socket within the Mast Socket 5C. The noise/crackling is just as bad. Does anybody else have any other ideas other than reporting it to BT who I have found are not the best in wanting to resolve a problem. 

9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Crackling Noise on line

Go to solution

@Newstarter 

As this is a repeat fault, it will need a full quality check of your line.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

if you are a BT customer for your landline then phone 151 and report a phone fault - the is correct way to get engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Newstarter  welcome to the forum and thanks for your post. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team and we will be happy to help you get the fault on your line fixed. 
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

cheers
John

Newstarter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks Keith. I will look out for the moderator's assistance. I am scared to contact BT in case they charge be approx £100, but I am convinced the noise MUST be beyond the Master Socket outside. A lot of Open Reach work in the area last 12 months.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@Newstarter 

if as you say you still get the crackle noise using a filter in test socket then problem outside your home and you should not be charged    the cost is now £85 not £120 like before

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@Newstarter 

As you can see, you already have a reply !

There is no charge for faults which are external, or if the fault is not found.

Just reply to the message from @JohnC2 

Newstarter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for your help Keith. I have messaged JC2 this morning to say there has been NO crackling at today on the line. I have asked him if I can leave things as they are for say a couple of days to ensure there is no repeat of the issue. This time thumbs up for BT mate. Thank you.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@Newstarter 

As I am just a customer, and BT Pensioner, I can only offer advice based on my years of experience.

Crackling on the line is normally caused by a high resistance (HR) connection which in turn is often caused by corroded crimp connectors, or terminal blocks.

There are an awful lot of old crimp connectors still out there in the network, which have never been replaced.

What can happen with HR connections is that a BT line test can temporarily break down these connections, and the fault will clear, only to return later, especially if the phone line is not used, as the use of the phone can act as a preventative measure, by passing a current through the line.

Quite often, if you have noise on the line, then ringing your phone line from a mobile, or doing a ringback test, can clear the fault. This is often more effective on ADSL connections, as HR connections can occur within the BT Line Test System and TAMS relay set contacts.

Newstarter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
All understood and noted. To a BT Pensioner from a mere OAP !!!!
Many thanks
0 Ratings