cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Crackling and noise on phone line, worse when rains

For the past 2-3 months we have had problems with our phone line crackling. The problem is worse after heavy rain, our phone line is underground in ducting. I've had openreach out a couple of times, and they have commented thats its likely due to a joint in the street but basically as the line passes the test there is nothing they can do. They even heard the crackling but due to line tester saying no faults there is nothing they are willing to do until it fails the test. The last engineer commented that the AC balance of the line was quite poor at 54 db but not bad enough to fail. It really is a ridiculous situation as the phone line can be almost useless at times with the noise. They basically told me that until the line fails they can't help me.

Do I just keep calling Openreach out, my main worry is they will charge me eventually...

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Crackling and noise on phone line, worse when rains

yes persist until the problem is resolved fully
0 Ratings
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Got another appointment for Friday afternoon. I'm pretty sure the fault is at a cable junction at the top of the street as a neighbour opened the inspection cover and it was full of water. I mentioned this to the engineer last time and he told me they aren't allowed to open the covers. Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Well third engineer visit and another waste of time. The weather was good (without rain) so no problems detected on the line. It rained again last night and the problem was back with a vengeance. So I guess its just log another fault and hope for the best with the fourth visit...the last engineer said we needed an underground engineer but there seems to be no way to get BT to actually send one...

0 Ratings
pcfarrar
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

4th Engineer visit and the problem now seems to be fixed. The fault was in the cable between my house and the cabinet in the street. The engineer couldn't locate the faulty section but was able to splice the cable into another half way up the street.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Looks like you got a result there pcfarrar. Persistence paid off in the end. Thanks for letting us know.

Cheers

David
0 Ratings