cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbrett
Message 1 of 7

Crackling landline, not working

I am having a problem with my landline. The line sounds crackly or not working at all sometimes when trying to phone out. Incoming calls are answered with a loud crackling noise on my end, but my phone isn't ringing. I don't have a corded phone, but I don't believe it is a pronlem with the phone itself but instead the line. The line looks OK on the outside up to where it means the line going to the pole. I don't know what point BT is responsible and what I'd have to pay for, if at all. The broadband appears OK at the moment.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Crackling landline, not working

Hi. For the sake of £5 I would suggest you try a corded phone into the test point of your main telephone socket. It could save a bill of over £130.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
dbrett
Message 3 of 7

I have been without a landline and with up and down broadband for two weeks now. The entire street is affected and most also have no broadband access at all. There has been no communication from BT. One neighbour said a BT Openreach van came and the engineers said the problem would be fixed today with a new piece of cable in the road. I phoned BT and they said they were prioritising it. If this issue isn't fixed today, I will refuse to pay my bill and will bill BT for the inconvenience caused  as I work from home. The fault tracker is worse than useless - it is totally misleading. Absolutely disgusting service from BT. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

have you checked here to see if fault listed for your area as it covers more than just you  https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=31

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dbrett
Message 5 of 7

It says that everything is OK in my area, although I know my road and an adjoining road have problems and BT admit there is a problem with a cable that needs to be replaced. They either don't have enough engineers or they can't be bothered.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
dbrett
Message 6 of 7

Openreach has continually failed to fix this problem, which is caused by a cable and is resulting in the entire road being affected. We can't use our phones and broadband speed has slumped. Openreach again missed a deadline to fix it - more than two weeks without services. It's atrocious service. The engineers sat in a van for about three hours then drove away - I don't think they looked inside the cabinet at all. I guess all that matters is BT Group profits and sod us customers. Disgusted with BT.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hi @dbrett,

I'm sorry there has been a delay in your service being repaired. If the fault is with the underground cabling, then this can delay things as often traffic management and planning is needed.

I can take a look at the fault report to see what is going on. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings