Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shazza1
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Crackling on my parents phone line!

Go to solution

HELP!!

My parents have a BT line and BT phones so everything is compatible, but since they`ve been with BT the damn phone line has made a crackling noise and with dads hearing aids it`s nearly impossible for him to use the phone and mum`s terminally ill now so things are getting desperate as they don`t have a mobile. We called BT out and the usual extortinate charge was made! and they said "no not Bt`s fault it`s your handset/ indoor connection" replaced evrything........still get the crackling! they cannot afford to keep paying BT`s callout charge so what do we do???? HELP!!!!

Frustrated BT customer!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Crackling on my parents phone line!

Go to solution
Try connecting to test socket which is behind bottom half of master and try dialling 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone if any noise then report fault to 151 by using test socket the fault should be outside property and openreach problem and free

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

When you report a fault, they give a warning about charges ' if it's your own equipment or wiring it's a chargeable visit' or something like that, if you were subsequently charged presumably the engineer closed the job off in effect stating either no 'noise' was present, or the noise was due to your own equipment.

If you haven't already , as already suggested , plug a known fault free , preferably corded (not cordless) phone into the master socket and see if any noise is present, (dialing 17070 gives the option for a quiet line test , this gets rid of the dialtone and let's you listen for any noise )

when the engineer visited ( presumably you did get a visit if you were charged for one) what did the engineer say ?

If the line is still noisy with a corded phone in the test socket, re-report it and challenge the charge for the earlier visit , if the line is 'quiet' with a corded phone, then you sort have proved your own equipment at fault, a corded phone can be bought for a few ££, and is handy as it would work during a power cut, when a cordless one wouldn't 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @shazza1,

I'd like to help make this as easy as possible for your parents to get fixed. One of my team will be able to test the line and help. To get in touch with us, click on my user name and then copy and paste the link under "Moderation Team Email Address" into your browser.  Complete that form and we'll get back in touch with you.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
shazza1
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
Hi Daniel S (moderator)
Can`t thank you enough! Phillip the engineer arrived this morning at 8.45 and didn`t leave until 11.45, he tested all indoor lines etc and no fault found on them but he did find a fault with the outside lines/connections in the street. He had to go through every single connection and replace all from the road outside the bungalow to the exchange, one of the ones he renewed did the job, mum and dad`s phone line has never been as clear as it is now! Dad can now use the phone again and mum feels safe knowing that if they needed to contact hospital etc they could be heard and understood and any request is now clear. Phillip worked tirelessly and was really determined to find the fault , his perseverance paid off . Thanks to you DanielS for initiating the fault finding request in the first instance and being so efficient. My parents send their thanks to you both.
Kind Regards
Shazza1
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

If you would also  like to thank Phillip, the Openreach enginer, you can use this form. Feedback is appreciated.

https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0a0e0c

Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Great feedback @shazza1

I'm really pleased the engineer got things sorted out.

I'll be sure to pass your feedback on to @DanielS the legend Smiley Very Happy

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Highlighted
shazza1
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
This message of thanks is for Phillip the outreach engineer who worked his magic on my parents phone line, he worked tirelessly for 3 hours to find and fix the problem fault, amazingly he did it! Can`t thank him enough as I know it made him late for his other jobs but he persevered, thanks also from my parents Mr & Mrs Pitts of Exmouth. As I said previously they now feel safe in the knowledge that if an ambulance/GP or the hospital needs to be called they can now do this without worrying whether their message has been heard/ understood. My father is Dyslexic and wears hearing aids in both ears. he cannot write messages down so he has to be able to listen carefully to take any messages on board and the line being as
awful as it was he had to keep asking people to repeat themselves as he couldn`t hear what they were saying which was extremely frustrating for him.
Once again Phil many many thanks from us all I don`t think you and DanielS will ever know what a difference to my parents lives you have made! I have made a statement below which has no link to DanielS and Phillip. This is how they were treated when I first contacted BT concerning the line problem a couple of years ago.
Kind Regards
Shazza1 and Mr & Mrs Pitts
(it`s a pity it couldn`t have been sorted a couple of years ago , as they were charged £120 and told it was their equipment but everything was changed internally at a cost and the line was still crackling! so they`ve had to tolerate and put up with this for a very long time thinking it was their fault.)

0 Ratings
shazza1
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Many thanks Robbiemac
from Shazza1
0 Ratings