cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VickyD1
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Crackly phone line since a company cut through phone lines

Experiencin all the same problems since a company cut through phone lines at the main box. Keep ringing BT to be told there is no fault with the line. They now want us to have an engineer visit the house with the possibility of us having to pay.
Why can't they just send an engineer to the box. We know they had real trouble re connecting everyone because of the state of the wires etc down there. It seems an obvious place to start!
Getting very frustrated with this crackling phone line and constant WIFI drop out.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Crackly phone line and the broadband connection keeps dropping out

@VickyD1 wrote:
Experiencin all the same problems since a company cut through phone lines at the main box. Keep ringing BT to be told there is no fault with the line. They now want us to have an engineer visit the house with the possibility of us having to pay.
Why can't they just send an engineer to the box. We know they had real trouble re connecting everyone because of the state of the wires etc down there. It seems an obvious place to start!
Getting very frustrated with this crackling phone line and constant WIFI drop out.

@VickyD1

You will not pay if the fault is external to your house.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Re: Crackly phone line since a company cut through phone lines

Hi @VickyD1 and welcome.

Sorry you're having problems with the line. Can you try connecting the phone to the test socket behind the master socket and dialling 17070 option 2. If there is noise on the line at that point then the issue is on the network side and no charge will be raised for the engineer visit. You'll need to call 151 to get that appointment arranged. Can you try that and let me know how it goes.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
VickyD1
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Hi I don't think we have a test socket.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

@VickyD1 wrote:
Hi I don't think we have a test socket.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/40812/~/what-type-of-master-socket-have-i-got%3F

I have numbered some of them, so you can say which one you have (just give the number)

Single master sockets

Filtered sockets

0 Ratings
VickyD1
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

There is another phone socket in my daughters bedroom with the line through and open reach above the line...This is even more crackly than the one in the lounge and it allows me to dial 1471 but does not allow me to dial out.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Is it one of these?

If it is, then that is probably the master socket, and if you remove the bottom part, the test socket will be behind.

Plug your phone into there, and see if the line is still crackling.

If its not one of those, then which one is it?

Or

0 Ratings
VickyD1
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

It is number 2 I think. Not at home at the moment. I did try and remove the bottom plate earlier but one of the screws wouldn't budge. I will try again as soon as I get a chance.
Thank you
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Number 2 does not have any screws, as it clips on.

Perhaps you can check again?

You need to locate the master socket, that will be the first one, where the phone line comes in.

I assume it comes in underground, and not from a telephone pole outside?

0 Ratings
VickyD1
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

I got in there it says Open reach BT on it. Did the quiet test. Had a faint noise but not as crackly as through the normal thing.
0 Ratings