cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Crazy increase in scam calls! Any advice?

I don't know why this is happening, but there seems to be a huge increase in scam calls (people in a heavily Indian accept saying they are from BT and my service is "compromised and limiting the entire network of the UK" or words to that effect) or I get an automated male overly accented Toff's type English voice saying I am about to be cut off press 1 to be connected, 2 to have the disconnection happen...

I've tried to add these numbers to the 1572 blocked list, but it's a new number each time and some are no number supplied...

I'm going to risk being TMI here...I've got a lot going on for me at the moment, I've got health issues and this is making them worse. I need to know what to do to stop these. I can't block all calls as the service providers that do call me will with-hold their numbers and I need to keep getting those calls. I don't know what to do with this, it's making me really unwell.

Has anyone found a day to manage this? I get these calls any time from 6am to the evening, they are unpredictable and so far today I've had 5 and it's only because I'm home that I've been able to count.

Help!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Message 2 of 6

Re: Crazy increase in scam calls! Any advice?

Hi @orange5   I recommend buying a phone with Call Guardian. Since buying one of these phones I now get zero cold calls. You change from blocking calls to only allowing calls from friends, family etc. I find that legitimate callers, like hospitals, appointments etc. are always willing to announce themselves. You need Caller ID enabled.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Agree with @VeteranISPUser with a phone that includes Call Guardian, this will make the caller leave a message, you can then listen to that message and decide whether to accept or reject the call.
Anyone in the handsets phone book like friends and family get straight through without interuption.

Caller protect along with caller display are also free addons you can enable.

Alternatively BT will give you a new number free of charge if you wish.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the advice- does caller ID cost anything? And do I need to call up BT to set anything up?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 6

Nope, free to add, you might need to call up and ask but it might be possible through www.bt.com/mybt

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

@orange5wrote:

Thanks for the advice- does caller ID cost anything? And do I need to call up BT to set anything up?

I agree totally with the other responders.  You cannot stop anyone ringing you but the best way to stop all unwanted callers getting through is with a call blocking phone.  Googling call blocking phones will provide information

0 Ratings