Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ldyer
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Damaed phone handset due to thunder/lightning

Go to solution

I need some clarification as to why BT have charged me £130.  Last week, my house was hut bad and knocked out TV, Pc, printer and phone.  Because at that time, I didn't know exactly the issue was or needed fixing, I had to get the engineer out as a matter of urgency as the phone line belongs to a grandparent and has an alarm hooked up to it for emergency use.

What am not happy about is the fact that I am being charged just a for a call out when what I already knew was that the phone was not working.  the call out was to determine what the exact issue was- it turns out the phone line was working but I was advsied to replace the handset but now being told an act of god, nature is the reason BT are not responsible and thats why I am being charged - even though nothing is fixed!  Is this correct?

Any help much appreciated!

Lee

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Damaed phone handset due to thunder/lightning

Go to solution

Its because the fault was not on the external network, and was proven to your equipment.

See this page for an explanation.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

You could have avoided this charge by checking your phone line at the test socket, using a known working phone.

0 Ratings
ldyer
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks Keith for the clarification!

I still am a bit upset as I did tell the operator who ran a diagnostic with me on the line and confirmed that she was not getting a response from the line which confirmed what I already knew - in addition to this, I had no available phone to check at that time as the time of day this occured was in the evening - I kind of was thinking about my grandafther's well being, being that I work overnight and he can't be left alone without a phone line operating as his alarm system is connected to the network.

A bit long-winded i know - sorry for that!  But bottom line is, I will ask for good-will gesture because I still think the charge is weighty.  especially just to tell me it's the handset.  Given the circumstances, I understand BT is not responsible for Act of God, but that doesn't neccessarily mean I should be charged, given no actual repair or labour was done.  The call out was a further diagnostic, took 5 mins to tell me it's the base unit of the handset gone.  And I wasn't advised to test with a different handset  -  that certainly didn't occur to me then, as my TV, PC and printer were all knocked out.  Ii hope you see my POV.

Thanks,

Lee

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Its Openreach that visits, not BT Retail. They then pass the charge to BT Retail, who then pass it onto the customer (you).

Its the same for all Service Providers that use the Openreach infrastructure.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
have you tried calling out a plumber or electrician and getting them to prove a fault for no charge?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
ldyer
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Yes, sorry late replying, Thank You for resolving issue.  BT Retail have provided a free handset even though it is not their responsibility and will sort the charge out.

Very pleased!!!

Many thanks!

0 Ratings