cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
k2150
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Dead phone line, please say it's not me

Today I pick up my bt phone and the line is dead no dial tone, so I buy a new phone and it's still dead no dial tone and incoming calls don't ring. I log-in to Mybt which says no known issues in my area but would I like my line tested, I say sure.  30 mins later I get a bt text saying sorry about your fault, we aim to fix it end of 27th august, if the fault isn't with bt kit you may need to pay 99 quid. My question would be if you know there's a fault, and you aim to fix it in a week, then you must know where the fault is. I can't afford a 99 quid call out fee right now. One other thing is that bt infinity which connects to the same box inside my flat is uneffected, broadband works fine.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Dead phone line, please say it's not me

This is essentially a customer to customer help forum, and posts do not necessarily get actioned by anyone in BT.

You will only be charged for the repair if the fault is with your own equipment, ie anything your side of the master socket. You can make sure by removing the faceplate on the lower part of the master socket and plugging the phone in the test socket behind; if you still get no dial tone the fault is not with you.

Broadband is not necessarily affected when there's a phone fault. As it happens, I had identical symptoms to yours during the last week, and an engineer arrived before the target date to fix it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
k2150
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

I just got a call from the engineer asking was I at home he wanted access to the socket,  I was at work, I wasn't given any appointment as to when I should be home, asked him could he schedule an appointment, he said no, could be anytime between now and next week.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

The engineer has to follow a schedule allocated to him. Try arranging an appointment through the phone number or online chat facility at Phone Faults Contact.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
k2150
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

all fixed by friday afternoon, pretty decent service considering it would have been fixed in a day if I was home, fault was fixed in the street so was on bt's side.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Excellent news, k2150.  It wasn't you.

0 Ratings
k2150
Contributor
Message 7 of 7