cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 33

Digital Voice Change over

I have just received a letter about digital voice migration. The letter and web links are not that helpful, and it is better to do a web search to get sensible answers, or should I say honest answers.

In the letter it say, if you have certain equipment you should not migrate. It instructs you to text alarm to 61998 to stop the switch over. First issue, 61998 does not work, living in the middle of nowhere, with no home mobile signal,  I walked 600 yrds to a signal point, to send, it was rejected 5 times.

I rang 0800800150, and was informed that I do not have an option, it is compulsory, news to me. However I explained the alarm, but was told they have to agree that the alarm is not compatible, otherwise I have no option. So is that true, I am one of 7 houses, the only one with FTTP, and the only one on BT, no one else is being compulsory migrated, but of course they are not FTTP. 

What I find very frustrating about this is, I have not long purchased replacement phones, but not a combined set, they are independent, and work on the internal wiring, they do not link. I now have to purchase adapters for each phone, above one free adapter.  I am also advised that mt answerphone system will no longer operate via a digital adapter, charming.

Because of the location, I purposely purchased a dial phone because of recursing power cuts. This phone I am told will not work on an adapter, which is obvious as it relies on the power through the old system. So with no mobile signal, and no dial phone, emergency calls cannot be made. This is progress is it, what about those who do not have mobiles,  such as my wife, and why should people be forced to get a mobile phone at additional costs. 

I think this whole migration has been badly planned and implemented, with little or no considerations for the customer. If by the decision of BT, they render customers equipment redundancy, or unusable, they should supply adapters or replacement for them all with charge.

I am old enough to remember the change over from town gas to north sea gas in the late 1960's. all appliances, or replaced. People were not told, you can have one item change fee, the rest you have to pay for. In those day it was a gas fire in most rooms, cooking, water heater, and even gas fridges. 

So come on BT, think about your customers, stop dictating, and making perfectly usable equipment redundant, at what cost to the environment, all this disused equipment is going to go somewhere, why supply the adapters free of charge, and allow customers to replace the phones as and when they choose, it would actually be cheaper for BT.

If anyone can answer some of the question please do so, if you fell I have made some points, please support it.

Thanks

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33

Re: Digital Voice Change over

@Tmax 

The PSTN network is closing down, so customers are being migrated to BT Digital voice.

You can plug existing phones into the phone socket of the Smart Hub 2, or link that socket to your internal phone wiring, so there is no need for any adapters, just a connecting cord like this.

Power is provided from the Smart Hub 2 phone socket.

You then disconnect any existing connection to the copper network.

Any alarm will work just as it did before, provided it uses tone calling and not pulse dialling.

Keith_Beddoe_0-1622464700397.jpeg

As for the problem of power cuts, a suitable UPS is available from BT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 33

@Tmax 

You may find this third party article interesting https://digitalwholesalesolutions.com/2019/10/the-bt-openreach-pstn-and-isdn-2025-switch-off/#item4

This makes the mistake of referring to BT Openreach, which does not exist. Its simply Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 33

Thank you for the comment, but this seems to be against what BT say on the website, that you need to get an adapter for every phone.

May I ask, by plugging in this cable to the existing wiring it can only work on phones that are plugged into a mains supply, otherwise it has no power? 

Having a largish house, many of my phone are manual, the sockets were installed years ago, and upgraded last year, however they are not near power sockets. For example, the hall has oak panels where the phone is, but no 13amp plug in sight. I would not wish to run a cable over the surface.

It all seems ill thought through, but I doubt BT will take much notice though. I note the plans is to migrate everyone by 2025, what they have not said, is that just BT customers or everyone? what about all those on FTTC, or like my neighbors copper from the exchange 5 miles away.... interesting 

Message 5 of 33

Everyone.

Phones don't need a mains socket, only DECT base stations need a power supply.

Message 6 of 33

@licquorice wrote:

Everyone.

Phones don't need a mains socket, only DECT base stations need a power supply.

Exactly. There is no difference between the copper landline, and the socket on the SH2, apart from perhaps a lower ringing current, which may give issues with mechanical bells.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 33

Hi,

Sorry you lost me at DECT...... lol.

Seem odd that BT have not explained any of this, and the call centre was less than helpful, asking for the make and model of my alarm system.

Out of interest, some of my phones use the broadband filter, because of the  capacitor which ring the the phone. Would that work or overcome any lower ringing current? 

Have you ever thought of working for BT..... lol  

Message 8 of 33

The capacitor is only needed on old phones, that have a separate "ring" wire. You can still use a broadband filter to provide this function, even if its connected to a Digital Voice line.

Modern phones do not have this "ring" wire, as they use electronic ringers that operate on just two wires.

There is a historic reason for the "ring" wire, but its beyond the scope of this discussion.

None of us on this forum are employed by BT, but some were in the past.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 33

It is damned odd that BT and/or Openreach, or indeed the Government, haven't said that this is happening. There needs to be letters through the door, like with vaccine appointments, since they both pertain to the functioning of society.

I've found the instructions from BT to be completely unforthcoming regarding the 'necessity' to buy brand new, ghastly looking digital/wireless phones or adaptors.

And now I've entered a layer deeper down the rabbit hole with the revelation on this forum that you don't actually need to buy these things. Funnelling internet juice from the Internet Box into the Master Socket will suffice, apparently, if you take the wire cutters to the Master Socket and get a special wire to connect something to another thing.

It just doesn't make any sense to me. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 33

@Anonymous wrote:

And now I've entered a layer deeper down the rabbit hole with the revelation on this forum that you don't actually need to buy these things. Funnelling internet juice from the Internet Box into the Master Socket will suffice, apparently, if you take the wire cutters to the Master Socket and get a special wire to connect something to another thing.

It just doesn't make any sense to me. 

For most customers, alteration of the wiring would be outside of their ability, so selling phones and adapters, is the simplest option, and can be easily supported.

0 Ratings