cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Disconnect Master Socket

Go to solution

We are decorating the dining room where our master socket is installed. It is on a wall that currently has tongue and groove wood panelling which I am removing.  I don't need to move the master socket but I will need to disconnect the drop line wires so I can remove the panelling, then re-connect them to attach it back to the wall.

My question is, if I disconnect the A and B wires and then simply reconnect them again, will this cause me to lose the signal? i.e would BT then need to do something at the exchange to turn the line on again? 

I'm more than competent to just disconnect and then reconnect the wires but I obviously don't want to lose my phone line and internet!

Many thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Disconnect Master Socket

Go to solution
If you simply remove the wiring to the A and B terminals, it won’t register as a fault , or anything , but obviously you won’t have any service either....when the renovation work done, re termination on the A and B ( it’s not polarity conscious but can’t hurt to put them back the same way round ) should restore service.....strictly speaking you shouldn’t do it, but it’s hardly rocket science , something to avoid is multiple disconnects and reconnects as this could be seen as line instability and your broadband may reduce speed if ‘DLM’ kicks in.....single disconnect/reconnects are fine.
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Disconnect Master Socket

Go to solution

Thanks, that's really helpful.

0 Ratings