cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 9

Disconnected BT landline now has a dialing tone.

After having two BT landlines to my property I got one disconnected over a year ago.
I recently found that the disconnected line has now got a dialing tone.  Using 17070 I found that it had a number on my local exchange.  This number does not accept any incoming calls.  I have not found any number that is accepted  dialing out other than 17070.
BT support claim that it is not a BT line. Openreach say that they cannot tell me what service provider has the line due to OFCOM rules.  They suggest it is probably a cross line of some form.  They refuse to do anything about it.

Has anyone any advice regarding how I can get this fixed ?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Disconnected BT landline now has a dialing tone.

Try submitting that number to BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker . If it accepts it it is a BT based number. Does it produce the same results as your own number?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

If its a BT stopped line, you should be able to dial 150 and get a BT welcome message.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

RobbieBaron,

Thank you for your suggestion. When I try the checker it just says it is either not a BT line or just being set up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

Keith, 

on dialing 150 it says the number you have dialled has not been recognised.

I have checked dialing 999 and that is accepted much to my embarrassment.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Stopped lines used to have the option to direct you to BT sales to get it activated, but this may now be seen as restricting choice.

If you have the phone number, you can look up the provider yourself.

If you have a quick look at the OFCOM website :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

and download the spreadsheet that contains your number range (note the numbers exclude the leading zero). The line in the spreadsheet will show to whom the range is allocated.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Chances are the exchange equipment that once delivered the service to you before you had it ceased, has been reactivated for a ‘new’ customer ( not necessarily a BT customer, just a customer of a service provider that uses OR ) , their service appears temporarily on your socket , until an OR engineer puts it through to the correct location ( when your line was ceased , the MDF connection isn’t removed , it’s left in situ, ( left in jumper ) , the ‘new’ service is provided in such a way that someone like yourself who notices that a previously ‘dead’ socket now has dialtone , cannot make use of the line.
Your socket will be ‘dead’ again shortly, when the unknown customer gets their service provided.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Keith,
Using the link you provided I have identified the line as being allocated to TalkTalk.

Hopefully I can get them to chase Openreach

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 9

TALKTALK don’t need to chase anyone. As Keith said a Line goes into a Stopped Status for 6 months and then gets listed as a Spare.

Whats most likely happened is the E or D Side your old line was preconnected to has now been allocated to someone and when they have their Installation the Engineer will disconnect it and divert it to their house.

0 Ratings