cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gill501
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Do I need unused telephone cable anymore?

We're with not with BT or any other ADSL provider. We've had Virgin Media services for nearly two years now and our home phone is connected to the back of the Hub (Home Hub 3.0) with no issues. We are doing some internal decoration work in the house and have a BT telephone line coming from the pole in our garden, into the loft where it meets a little white junction type box then strangely the telephone cable was routed out the loft, around the top landing and all the way down the side of the staircase to what looks like a BT Master socket in the hall.

What I would like to know is: do you think it's safe to remove this cable given that we no longer use a BT/ADSL line? I would want to remove purely for cosmetic reasons as the cable tacked above walls and skirtings  but really don't want to break anything if I rip it out 😂🤔 Thank you.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Do I need unused telephone cable anymore?

I assume you mean a Virgin Hub 3.0, not a BT Home Hub.

Its 'safe' to remove the cabling, you won't break anything although its a moot point whether the Openreach demarcation point is the junction box in the loft or the master socket and hence whether the wiring is yours or theirs. Don't think anybody will be bothered either way.

Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

I assume you never want to return to any other line provider? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
gill501
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the replies. I can't see us switching back to BT/SKY with the speeds we are receiving currently. What I can do though is disconnect the cable (I think) from the socket in the hall and untack the cable all the way back to the loft and coil it there incase it's required again in the future.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Openreach would never re-use the cable if you coiled it up. Just leave the incoming cable into the loft. 

If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
gill501
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Thanks, yeah I wouldn't touch the incoming line to the house and will leave all as is at the box in the loft, just can't wait to remove the unsightly cable that i see everytime I climb the stairs though.

Thank you

0 Ratings
jroy900
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

I have a similar query and situation in my house, although the master bt socket appears to be near the front door, which I think is usually the case.

But we then have a cable coming out across the hall skirting, up and over the lounge door, up and over the kitchen door, through the wall into the kitchen straight into a phone socket with a splitter in. 

From the splitter both cables go up the kitchen door where one goes into a bt box which I'm guessing is some kind of speaker so you can hear the ring in the kitchen. The other cable carries on down the door through the wall into the dining room, up and over the double doors between dining room and lounge, to the outside wall, through and up the outside of the house and into the bedroom where it just has a couple of metres and a female end to plug a phone in the bedroom.

I guess I can remove all this, just leaving the socket near the front door where we have the router and main phone, the other handset we have in the bedroom doesn't need to be plugged in to the phone line, just the electric. I don't see any future need for all this cable for other sockets as handsets are wireless these days

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Anything beyond the master socket is entirely your responsibility to do with as you wish.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

Just make sure that is the 1st socket after the line enters the house just in case the line enters from the back of the hose. Just because its a master socket does not mean its where the line goes to 1st. 

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 10 of 10

Welcome to the community @gill501 and @jroy900 .

I hope that guys have answered this for you but if you have any other questions pop back and I'm sure we can help.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings