cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BustersD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Does BT still own our phone line? Want to switch ISP but keep number - Help pls!

Go to solution

Hello, thanks for reading.  I hope someone can help with this....

We have a residential landline, but my partner also works from home and doesn't want to change our phone number.

We want to change our broadband and phone provider to plusnet but our address doesn't appear on their automated database when we enter our postcode.  Because of this they say they'll have to provide a new phone line and probably new number, which is no good.

The CSA at plusnet told me that BT have placed a "silver key" status on our number and that's why we don't appear in their database, she said to ask BT to change our status to "gold key" and then we'll appear on their database and they won't need to supply a new line.

I did phone BT about this but the CSA said it's nothing to do with BT and they can't help.

We used to be with BT for our landline, then at the end of 2012 we decided to let our ISP provide our landline as well our broadband.  There was no engineer visit or anything like that and we assumed that BT still owned our line.

So who owns it?  Can BT change our status to "gold key"? 

The odd thing is that when we put our postcode into plusnet's database it has all our neighbour's addresses and even has an entry for the septic tank at the bottom of our road!!  We seem to be the only people not on it.

Any information that could help us with this will be appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Does BT still own our phone line? Want to switch ISP but keep number - Help pls!

Go to solution

BT Retail do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers.

If your current ISP is providing your phone line and broadband, then they are your Service Provider, so its nothing to do with BT Retail.

You will need to contact your current Service Provider, and explain that you want to move to a different Service Provider, and take your number with you.

You will have to look at their T&Cs, to see if that is possible.

As this is only a BT Retail customer forum, it may be worth visiting your existing ISPs forum, if they have one.

0 Ratings
BustersD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: Does BT still own our phone line? Want to switch ISP but keep number - Help pls!

Go to solution

Thanks for replying so quickly.  

I thought Openreach was BT.  Doh.

I can't see our current ISP being any help at all, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

This page should explain it.

http://www.expect.openreach.co.uk/

They are part of the BT Group, but they have to treat all Service Providers the same.

0 Ratings
_dreamer_
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Sorry but unless I have misread your question, have you asked your current provider if they can help you get it changed, then go with plusnet?
BustersD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

That's a good idea.

You haven't misread my message, but until tea-time today I had no idea what the problem was - I was avoiding asking our current provider anything tbh, they're a p.i.t.a. to deal with, which is one reason why we want out.

Now I'm a bit more aware of what the problem is I can do as you suggest, thank you.

0 Ratings