Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sleedale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Does OFCOM get things fixed?

Go to solution

becuse BT certainly can't. This is still ongoing. In August I bought a BT8500 twin. It worked brilliantly. Then the landline developed a fault. BT fixed it, only they didn't. Caller ID stopped working on the new phone. Caller ID works on the old phone.

had a new phone sent. Still not working. Hours and hours online, on the phone to faults, to complaints, all in India, tested new ones on neighbours line, as requested. It worked fine. Doesn't work on our line. Engineer came to the house. Says we have caller display active on the line. Says it works on our old phone, no it doesn't work on the new phone. Engineer suggests asking BT to ask Openreach to switch neighbours line to our number to check if caller ID still works. I pass this information on to complaints/faults. Fault apparently fixed. Nope. They deactivate caller ID for several days, then reactivate it, still not working. Engineers say it should be working. It's not.

i give up. Replace BT8500 (set two) with BT 6500, which arrived a day late, charged fully, plugged in.....and guess what? CALLER ID NOT WORKING ON THIS PHONE ON OUR LINE BUT STILL WORKING ON OLD PHONE, BT going to phone me tonight to see if the new phone is working. I am now going to say either this is fixed by Monday at the latest or I cancel any and all payments to BT and contact OFCOM and any other complaints group I can find.

and just to add insult to injury, I get an email today telling me that my new phone service is ready to use! WHAT NEW SERVICE. We have been BT customers for at least 15 years! Oh and if anyone else asks me to remove the batteries and replace them, I might just tell them where I'm going to shove them! 

I now have to miss an important vets appointment with my sick dog so I can be in when BT phone as I can neither report a fault online, nor phone anyone useful nor speak to anyone who seems to have any clue what to do. BT complaints man in India is totally bemused and eventually no help at all. So BT. Fix my line properly. Ensure I do indeed have caller display working on my shiny new (third time lucky) phone set before the openreach engineers leave the cabinet/exchange, then perhaps return my BT8500 twin, which I bought to stop nuisance calls, and when all is working as it should, and indeed as it was before the line fault, I might just reinstate my direct debit, once you have decided how much compensation this whole debacle is worth to me.

And just for info for this forum, I had forgotten my password, I am still waiting for the email to help me reset it, so that doesn't work either. Fortunately I did eventually remember without your help.

sorry, totally **bleep** service all round. Web site no help at all. 

13 REPLIES 13
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Does OFCOM get things fixed?

Go to solution

This is a customer to customer help forum, your posts do not go to BT here. The only BT employees on the forum are the forum mods, but they do not read all posts that are made.

I'm guessing this thread is based on your previous discussion of a similar topic: https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/appalling-service-from-BT/m-p/1551216

Cancelling your payments could have very negative repercussions for your credit rating and you should not do that in order to prove a point to BT. It will generally affect your ability to get anything that requires a credit rating check, such as getting a mortgage or even purchasing a SIM card for a mobile phone/tablet device.

Also, Ofcom don't deal with individual cases, they'll just make note of the issue and ignore the correspondence beyond that.

0 Ratings
sleedale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

So basically it's tough? I can't do anything except spend  yet more hours and hours and hours online, on the phone, getting nowhere. Well, sorry but I fail to see why I should keep paying for a service I'm not getting. Rather like handing over £300 at the supermarket and leaving with £50 worth of goods! Not good enough. And if OFCOM won't do anything, then someone somewhere will be interested in such rubbish customer service. 

Your answer simply says, give up, you can't do anything! But keep paying?

nope. Doesn't work for me.

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
I'm not saying you should give up. I'm just stating the facts about what would happen if you cancelled your direct debits to BT.

You could prevent that from happening by actually reporting the fault or getting back in touch with the mods, as the thread I linked was showing that you were getting moderator assistance for this problem only a couple of weeks ago.
0 Ratings
sleedale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Sadly, this fault has been reported many, many times. Yes the mods helps before, they got my account straightened out, for which I was very grateful. But my main complaint is that I bought the BT8500 for a specific reason and it worked brilliantly until they 'fixed' my line. I have run around ever since and it is virtually impossible to get hold of anyone useful. I can't even report the fault online any more, only do their checks. Which are useless. The phone works as a phone, in that I can get and make calls. But I'm paying for caller ID, and it isn't working, so what are my options? I am really, really sick and tired of chasing round, waiting in, trying to sort this problem. It's very tempting to visit the cabinet and make sure it's properly broken! Although of course I wouldn't, so not paying for something I'm not getting seems to be my only option. All I want is a BT 8500 twin, working as it did when I first got it. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
try connecting a new broadband filter to the phone line that has been known to resolve the caller ID problem
0 Ratings
sleedale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you, but we don't use filters, they put in one of those new socket things. However, I did try adding a filter, just in case, but that didn't work either.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution
Try removing the removable plate at the bottom of the master socket and connecting the filter and phone to the test socket and check then if caller display works
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

There is a known problem with caller display (CLI, calling line identity) and faulty broadband,  the broadband is faulty , but it only affects the voice service...in a nutshell,  normally caused by high voltage spike, the broadband kit in the exchange develops a fault, but it has no affect on the broadband performance, but degrades the CLI signal that is sent from the exchange, thru the broadband equipment (degrading it) and on to your phone or caller display unit

I would imagine your old phone is capable of decoding the degraded CLI signal, but your newer phone is not,

Your  problem will be to get your broadband equipment in the exchange 'lift and shifted' onto another Broadband port when on the face of it the broadband is working ok, they will probably say why are you reporting your  Broadband when it's a voice service that doesn't work  

its possible that a lightning strike knocked  off your phone and damaged the broadband, they fixed the telephony problem but the degraded broadband kit  is still connected to your line, and needs to be swapped out

sleedale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
i did try this, it didn't make any difference, but thank your for helping
0 Ratings