Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sleedale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 14

Re: Does OFCOM get things fixed?

Go to solution
thank you for this, when the nice man from India phones again tomorrow I will suggest this. It is at the stage where they don't really do anything, just seem to remotely test the line, it works so no fault to fix. Its a great pity we can't contact the blummin engineers ourselves. Tempted to trot down to the cabinet with a screwdriver!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 14

Go to solution
moderator advised
0 Ratings
sleedale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 14

Go to solution

iniltous - many thanks. Finally an openreach engineer actually came to my house, checked everything here, discovered that everything I had said was actually true, was initially a bit confused when he found that his testing equipment didn't show caller ID either. But this very nice, very helpful man, James for reference, persisted and listened to all the information i had collected over the  months. He went off down to my exchange/cabinet thing and worked on it for quite some time and finally....this amazing man FIXED THE FAULT. It was indeed a broadband fault, caused by switching to fibre then back again apparently. When they switched back to copper some of the componenets were not compatible and did degrade the signal sending the call ID info down the line. So a massive thank you to iniltous, for suggesting this so I could pass it on, even though initially James was a little hesitant, and a mahoosive shout out to openreach engineer James who did indeed persist and try a range of soutions, AND phoned me from the exchange to ensure the fault was fixed. 

However, the only reason I got an engineer to actually come out was nothing to do with the ongoing 'customer care' calls from India who only seem able to follow scripts and initiate remote line checks which were useless, it was simply because, for one last and final time, I spent more than half an hour waiting for an online chat with a fault person who did book and engineers visit, along with the usual 'you will have to pay if....' warnings.

as an end note to this long saga, customer service did follow up with a call, and I was finally able to say yes the fault had been fixed, but that I would really like my original, and best BT8500 phones set back, not this BT6500 which I accepted just in case it might work. India gave me a number, which in the event was wrong, BUT a kind person gave me the phone number of 'escalations' where a wonderful lady called Sam (thank you Sam) has managed to replace my BT8500 and I can return the BT6500. I will have then received three sets of BT8500 and returned three sets of phones to BT. All of which could have been avoided if James had been the first engineer to visit.

The moral of this saga.....don't give up. Even after hours and hours and hours of searhing, talking, typing. Persist. 

0 Ratings
dimsonite
Beginner
Message 14 of 14

Go to solution

Many thanks to both ‘iniltous’ and ‘sleedale’ without whom I doubt we would have solved our problem. Initially our caller display disappeared and we started being made aware that callers were unable to get through. I first called India to ‘chat’ early January 2016. We had roughly 10 ‘chats’ all claiming that they had checked and everything was fine. One even claimed that as I hadn’t ordered caller display I wasn’t entitled to have it but he would put it on for us. It didn’t work. We also got diverted to a ‘fault’ resolution line which turned out to be a sales team. We did find one good operator by phone who sent us a replacement router, which appeared to clear the problem, but only for 2 days. We escalated through the faults complaints system on the website. Surprisingly we had a response (although only from one of them). We were assured that the engineer would call on us and sort everything out. He didn’t. We did get our caller display back for a short time but only because an engineer had pulled the broadband line out. We raised another call about having no broadband but when the next engineer put it back the fault resumed. We had several text messages on our mobile to state that everything was fixed. If it was why didn’t they ring me on it? Because it wasn’t.

Eventually after 6 weeks we received a call from an engineer who had actually heard of this problem from a colleague and knew how to fix it. He had to ask if he could replace ‘apparently working’ broadband equipment. This he did and 1 hour later everything was fixed.

His name is Paul Fletcher and I hope this information helps you. As recompense we received £22.50 off our bill. Whoopee!!

0 Ratings