cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert9
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Does the BT Big Button 200 Corded Telephone, White work in Canada? Do I need a wall adapter for the

I live in Canada and have been researching big button phones for my sister. This is BT Big Button 200 Corded Telephone, White is the most appropriate one I've found. Nice design. Simple functions. I can buy it on the Amazon UK site - it is available on the Amazon Canada site but more expensive. Just one nagging question:

Will it work with our Canadian phone system? Will the phone line jack match the wall phone jack? Can I use an adapter of some kind if so? And which kind? (ok, four questions). If so, I'll buy this great phone. I see it is #4 in popularity in big button phones, so I hope it does. Thanks!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Does the BT Big Button 200 Corded Telephone, White work in Canada? Do I need a wall adapter for

@Robert9 

This is a BT Retail customer forum for BT phone and broadband customers.

Try ringing the product helpline number for this BT badged product.

Or try the user guide https://shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/7ss3/big_button_200_ug_[10].pdf

R&TTE
This product is intended for use within the UK for connection to the public
telephone network and compatible switchboards.
This equipment complies with the essential requirements for the Radio Equipment
and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment Directive 1999/5/EC.
0 Ratings
Robert9
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Re: Does the BT Big Button 200 Corded Telephone, White work in Canada? Do I need a wall adapter for

Thanks Keith,

1. I'm looking at buying a BT phone so that would make me a 'BT phone customer' right? Or do I have to wait to buy the phone first, then log on here, then ask my question about my product after I have bought it? What are the forum rules? 

2. I'll happily call the BT product help line long distance from Canada to enquire about this product. Do you have their number handy?

3. If you have any English phone products you'd like to know may or may not work in Canada, please let me know. I would happily call Bell, Telus, Rogers and Videotron for you and give you a quick 'yes' or 'no'. 

Thanks for your response.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Buying a phone from a retail store, simply makes you a customer of that store. The phones are just BT badged, like many other products.

The definition of a BT customer, on this forum, would be somebody who has their phone/broadband service from BT.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Welcome-to-the-BT-Community-Forum/td-p/15...

This is just a customer to customer forum, so could not advise on suitable products for your country.

I am sure the moderators of this forum, who are BT Employees, would be please to put the record straight. The phone is not intended for use outside of the UK.

0 Ratings
Robert9
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

"Buying a phone from a retail store, simply makes you a customer of that store. The phones are just BT badged, like many other products."

I'm buying the phone from BT on BT's Amazon UK store.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006O88CK2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

So I'm a customer of the BT store, your definition, Keith.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Hi Everyone,

Please can we keep it friendly as we want all posters to feel comfortable when asking and answering questions on the community.

@Robert9 I'm sorry I can't give you a definite answer as the Big Button 200 phone is intended for use on the UK telephone network.  I'm unfamiliar with the Canadian telecoms network, it's possible the standards are the different which could make it incompatible. 

0 Ratings
Robert9
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Sure Neil, we can keep it friendly.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Hi @Robert9,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry you haven't received the response you had been hoping for. I have taken some time to look into this for you, both the BT Big Button 200 for sale on the BT Shop on Amazon UK and Amazon Canada are both the same model number so should be the exact same phone. 

It's possible that the Canada version might be sent with a different cable. Would you be able to post an image of your master socket?

Hope this helps.

Matt

Robert9
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Hi Matt, thanks for your response.

Canada uses the Modular plug 6P2C RJ11 six-position modular connector -  contact count is two of the six positions.

RJ11 is a physical interface often used for terminating single-line POTS telephone jacks in most homes across the world. 

I was looking forward to a positive response from this forum to my query. I have had 15,000 customers in the last two years. I've interacted with each one on a personal basis. I've learned that good customer service is good for business. There are 35 million people in Canada. Many of them would likely be interested in a great big button phone like this for elderly relatives. It is the best I've seen. However, the response to my queries on this forum is not what I expected from an official BT forum moderated (I am told) by BT employees.

Rather than see my query as a valuable potential customer in a foreign market that could expand BT's sales beyond its present area, my query has been met with a tepid response that gives me the impression that BT would rather not sell more phones into new markets. You have a great product, BT, with a less than stellar marketing eye to expanding markets.

No-one much likes Americans, Mark, but when I want great customer service, there's nothing like contacting a US company for any product I'm looking for. The phone is answered in two rings or less, they do everything possible to assist a potential customer and you're dang right if you believe I'll shop with them again. But my experience with BT (including the dearth of pertinent information on their Amazon Canada and Amazon USA sites for this particular product is sadly not going to garner them many new customers abroad.

Thank you, Mark, for showing the open spirit of helpfulness that customers long for and seldom get. 

Robert9
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Hey guys, don't worry about it. After a frustrating time here trying to get a simple answer to a simple question, I found a great solution!

SOLUTION:

1. Don't by the Chinese-manufactured BT Big Button (super nice phone) from BT in UK.

2. Instead buy a Chinese-manufactured Big Button phone from a USA site from a 100% Customer-Satisfaction-rated seller who answers all questions clearly and promptly.

I recommend this solution to anyone outside the UK who has admired the BT Big Button phone and wants good customer service promptly given, problem-owned, problem-resolved, customer happy, repeat customer business focused service. 

I'm happy now!

0 Ratings