cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Echo when calling/receiving calls from Landline

Go to solution

Hi, over the past few months the landline at my grandparents house has had a strong echo for the other caller (they can hear their own voice). I'm not sure whats caused this issue as no change/work has been done to anything regarding the phonelines for years. They bought a new set of phones recently in a hope to eliminate the issue but it persists.

I've tried having the base plugged into each of the phone line points (sorry i dont know the techincal terminology) and directly into mains sockets without extention cords/adaptors, Speaker on/off, adjusting call level, everything I can think of but nothing seems to work. 

Moreover, my grandparents have called BT already but spoke to an automated system that said it'll be £80 to send out an engineer to identify the issue!!!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Echo when calling/receiving calls from Landline

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Please can you confirm that they are BT Retail customers?

The echo issue can be caused by a number of different things.

See a similar thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Problem-With-Echo-On-Line-When-Using-The-BT-4600-handsets-not-a...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for quick reply

Yes, they are retail customers. 

That was one of the threads I read before posting but I have just tried plugging the base into the test socket at the master phone socket and still it echos.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@Ridout1 wrote:

Hi, thanks for quick reply

Yes, they are retail customers. 

That was one of the threads I read before posting but I have just tried plugging the base into the test socket at the master phone socket and still it echos.

As you can see, there are a number of possible causes, but its unlikely to be anything in their house, if nothing has changed.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

why not just phone 151 and get engineer out ?  if you have used test socket and still echo then problem would appear external and there is no £85 charge

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Ridout1 

Have you managed to make any progress on this issue?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Yes, thank you for your help, the engineer came round and it was an outside fault so no charge.

Sorry for late reply been away for a few weeks. 

Again thank you for the help it is most appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@Ridout1 wrote:

Yes, thank you for your help, the engineer came round and it was an outside fault so no charge.

Sorry for late reply been away for a few weeks. 

Again thank you for the help it is most appreciated.

Thanks for the update, as I was waiting to make sure it was resolved.

0 Ratings