cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnr08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Either Party Call Disconnect ??

I read recently that BT was to introduce the facility that a call would disconnect if either party ended the call, not as now, controlled by the calling party.

Does anyone know when this was or will be introduced ? Obviously this is to help in the trend of scam calls where the caller advises they want payment or they will disconnect the phone

Thanks All

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Either Party Call Disconnect ??

They have reduced the amount of time the calling party can hold your line,  it was never the case that if someone called you and didn't clear the call , the called line would be held forever, it would eventually time out, provided the called party hung up thier phone, it's the amount of time before this 'called party clear' that has changed,  to 10 seconds (I believe).

They started doing the change in 2014, but I presume it must have taken a while to do all exchanges, as I'm sure a read recently about this presumably indicating that  the change is now complete

It is the case though that not every call  originates from a BT exchange , so will other providers follow this protocol ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

@iniltous It's 2 seconds now, it was changed within the last month or so. It used to be 10 seconds, but they reduced it substantially to try and stop phone scams.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

There are going to be more accidental disconnections to companies who do not put people on hold correctly.

Johnr08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone.

I was  aware that it wasn't an indefinite timer and had read that it was reduced to 10s, but was sure it was reducing further.

I suppose 2s is close enough for practical terms and will help to reduce this type of scam.

Obviously there must be system parameter limitations.

0 Ratings