cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bearcub
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Elderly person, faulty landline, endless excuses from BT!

Go to solution

My 85 year old mother's landline stopped working on June 6th, and we reported it on June 7th, when we were assured that, because of her age and living on her own, the case would be given priority. Hmm, right!  A hole was dug for work to begin 11 days later. After 6 days, no engineer had turned up, so the contractors had to re-fill it. Since then, we've had call after call, text message after text message, assuring us that the hole had been re-dug - which it hadn't, as an Open Reach engineer found when he turned up to start the repair.

We've been told the hole may have had to be dug elsewhere, that the fault could be affecting 'hundreds of customers' - as if that was reassuring! - that the contractors had told BT that it HAD been dug, that it might be possible to put in a temporary line, that BT had a 'system failure' and couldn't contact Open Reach, that a temporary line COULDN'T be installed, that the contractors were being unhelpful, and given seemingly endless dates for repair. We even had a supervisor call one evening, to reassure us that he was 'pushing' this, and that the hole WOULD be dug the next day (23rd JULY!), and the repair done by the 28th. The first wasn't, so the second won't be.

Although we live in the same road, and my mother now has a mobile phone, it's doubtful that she'd remember how to use it in the event of emergency. Added to this, friends and relatives can't call her, and she's been unable to call them, except very briefly to assure them she's ok, as her PAYG mobile wouild cost too much. She's just received a bill, and has paid it, because - get this - she's scared of being disconnected, and having to pay for re-connection!

BT, you must be one of the most inept companies we've ever come across - no part of the company seems to be able to communicate with any other! Meanwhile, my mother has now been without her landline for over SEVEN weeks, and you don't seem to care. It's all constant meaningless apologies, and endless untruths. Sorry, but I have a VERY short fuse with companies that can't be bothered.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Elderly person, faulty landline, endless excuses from BT!

Go to solution

Hi bearcub,

I'm really sorry for the delay getting your Mother's line repaired.  Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your Mother's details and we'll contact Openreach to find out what's happening with the repair.

I can't make any promises at this stage but we'll be happy to help in any way we can. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

does your mother qualify here  http://www.bt.com/includingyou/assets/downloads/FreePriorityFaultRepair.pdf

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bearcub
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution
Sorry, imjolly, I missed your post! No, my mother doesn't qualify as she's not housebound although, when my husband first called BT about the problem and pointed out her age and health problems, they did say they'd prioritise the situation. That, quite frankly, is laughable - or would be, if it wasn't so frustrating and potentially risky for my mother! Over the last two days, we've had ELEVEN texts, still saying that the phoneline WILL be repaired today. We'd all like to know how, and see them try, when no-one has appeared to re-dig the hole!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
have you contacted NeilO as he has offered to help you resolve this problem

0 Ratings
bearcub
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
Yes, I have - two days ago.
0 Ratings
bearcub
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
Thanks, NeiilO. Posted everything to you on Sunday.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution
The forum mod team will contact your personally by email or phone normally within 3/5 working days of you mailing them and take personal ownership until resolved and give you a single point of contact in the UK
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Hi bearcub,

Sorry about the delay getting back to you, we will be in touch today.

Thanks

Neil

bearcub
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you very much, Neil. I decided to try to get some answers by going to 'chat' and, when my details went through, they were picked up by the same person as those put through by you and/or your team. Someone called me, we had a good talk about all the frustrations, she's forwarding the 'case' to the Cardiff branch, and she's calling me back tomorrow. My husband also had a call from BT, to say work should start tomorrow. I'm afraid we're pretty sceptical about that, given all that's been said in the last 8 weeks. However, it does look as if someone's actually listening now, so thank you. I won't mark as 'accepted solution' just yet, but will do so as soon as I know that things are definitely progressing.

0 Ratings