cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamecj
Message 1 of 4

Electric Storm Damage - Infinity Faceplate?

My phone line developed a fault recently which I am trying to rectify. I diagnosed the fault to the Mk3 BT Infinity VDSL Faceplate.  With Broadband connection disconnected (RJ11 plug removed) the phone worked fine; reconnect and the phone stopped working, but the broadband connection worked fine. BT did a line test and a Broadband check, both fine with no fault found.

I fitted a new Faceplate and fault was fixed. However a week or so later the fault reoccurred, exactly as before. I thought that the fault could be with the connecting BT Openreach VDSL Modem so have ordered a replacement (note that BT will no longer replace these under contract warranty cover [great service]). The plan was to replace both Faceplate and Modem. However it occurred to me that the Faceplate passive filter network could have suffered lightning damage. There was a storm just before the second failure, I believe.

Does anyone have experience of any such damage? I don't expect there is any protection for the filter network (eg transorb), but it would be easy to fit such a device. Anyone done this?

If this is indeed the cause then BT should make their customers aware, and recommend they replace the Faceplate when such a fault is a possible cause. 

Does anyone one know if BT or Openreach have done any research on the possibility of such damage? The Phone Network is generally robust, but the addition of Broadband circuitry introduces more succeptable equipment.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Electric Storm Damage - Infinity Faceplate?

The MK3 SSFP is very easily damaged by surges because of the number of components inside. Its much easier to simply use an older ADSL faceplate, which only has passive components inside, and is not usually damaged by surges unless you get a direct lightning strike.

0 Ratings
hamecj
Message 3 of 4

Keith,

Many tanks for the reply. Do you know how using an ADSL Faceplate would affect Broadband performance?

Regards,

Chris.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@hamecj wrote:

Keith,

Many tanks for the reply. Do you know how using an ADSL Faceplate would affect Broadband performance?

Regards,

Chris.

No difference at all. Remember that Infinity is now self install anyway, and most people just use a microfilter plugged into a normal socket.

A filtered socket is a bit tidier, and allows you to isolate any extension wiring. It contains the same components as a normal microfiliter, and is quite robust.

The MK3 faceplate is quite a bit more complicated, and I think it tries to do the filtering electronically. This makes it much less robust and prone to short circuit.

0 Ratings