cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
burnsey602
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Engineer No Show

Had family wait in this morning for an expected openreach appointment between 08:00-13:00, nobody showed up and no communication to let us know.  Contacted BT who could'nt speak to openreach for an update, but had notes on system that more work was required an the network.

The property is a new build and was all connected to BT by the builders, was really hoping for this to be sorted by Christmas but i reckon thats not going to happen now, kids will be going mad!

Is there anything i can do?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Engineer No Show

Welcome to this user forum.

Is this a FTTP (Fibre To The Premises) installation, and you have an Openreach ONT already installed?

0 Ratings
burnsey602
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Hi Keith,

This was to get a landline connected to a new build, i was told that i could'nt order broadband until line had been sorted.  The builders arranged for the line to be installed during the erection of the property, so we have a physical line in U/G from the pole.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

@burnsey602 wrote:

Hi Keith,

This was to get a landline connected to a new build, i was told that i could'nt order broadband until line had been sorted.  The builders arranged for the line to be installed during the erection of the property, so we have a physical line in U/G from the pole.

So this is just a normal copper landline, which is unusual in a new build, unless there was a copper infrastructure in place already.

Its correct that you cannot order broadband until you have a working phone line. I suspect that Openreach have not yet completed the external network.

0 Ratings
burnsey602
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Thanks Keith,

Yes there is a copper line already in place, what is involved in completing the external network?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

@burnsey602 wrote:

Thanks Keith,

Yes there is a copper line already in place, what is involved in completing the external network?

Only Openreach would know that, and they would not be able to tell you.

All providers that use Openreach, including BT Retail, would be affected by the delay.

BT Retail can only tell you any updates they get from Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

‘So this is just a normal copper landline, which is unusual in a new build, unless there was a copper infrastructure in place already.’

Depends on what kind of New Build it is. Openreach only Provide FTTP free on Developments of 30+ Dwellings. Anything smaller the Builder/Developer has to pay towards the cost.

As the OP mentions the line goes UG then up a Pole I’d hazard a guess it’s not a Development and more an individual build or that of a few homes only.
0 Ratings
burnsey602
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

No its a single new build property, we've already had the line installed to the property during the build. There is already copper to an existing property next door, and the overhead line carries on about 4 span to 2 other properties down the lane.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

There may be a shortage of cable pairs, or some of them are faulty.

0 Ratings
burnsey602
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

So, nearly a week on and still no further forward. A complaint was logged on the Tuesday afternoon, I was promised a call from a Case Manager by Friday 21st. They would give me a personal contact number so I wouldn't need to go through the call centre, still nothing. Instead of a call on Friday I received a text stating there was a delay, call centre had no idea what was going on. Now promised a call from my case manager on Monday, not holding my breath. Disgusted at BT customer service, non existing really.
0 Ratings