Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hodges926
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Engineer charge

Go to solution
My broadband went off for no apparent reason on Friday night (purple flashing light on the hub). Rang BT Saturday, said they would look into it etc. So I went to work and near the end of my shift I noticed a voicemail from my landlord saying someone was here to fix my phone line.

BT did not inform me about the visit so he couldn't gain access as I live alone. Not impressed.
Rang them again Sunday and my complaint has now been raised to a level two, whatever that means.
Just had a text saying they have checked the network externally and found no fault so want to send an engineer out. Apparently if the fault is with 'my' equipment, it's £85. If the issue is with the wiring they installed (and I haven't touched) it's an £85 charge.
I only work part-time as its all I could find so by the time I've paid my bills every month I live on £50 a week. I can't afford to give them £85 to fix the wiring they installed (possibly badly) and I can't afford to pay to fix or replace the possibly defective hub, which belongs to them, not me. And to be honest, I don't see why I should.

I don't use my phone socket for a landline, just the broadband connection, so I don't have a phone to test it for a dial tone etc.

Anyone got any advice please? I can't and won't pay them £85 I don't have, to reinstate a service that I've pretty much had nothing but problems with since the day it was activated some 3 or so months ago.
It seems to me that they can't supply the service they are contracted to because of a problem with their equipment, be it in my flat or outside it, and for their failings, I have to pay them £85.

Hardly seems fair to me.
0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Engineer charge

Go to solution

you need to ensure the fault is not on your side of the test socket by using preferably a corded phone to check for dial tone and also to see if there is an line noise causing a problem  if there is no dial tone or there is line noise when conencted to test socket then problem is outside your home and you should not be charged for engineer callout

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
hodges926
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution
OK, thanks. I don't have a phone to test it with though as I only use it for broadband connection. So if there is a dial tone and I can dial out (if I can get hold of a phone) what would that mean exactly?
0 Ratings
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

You can run a quiet line test, think it's 17070 and option 2. See if you have noise on your line.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

if you have a dial tone then you need to check for line noise by doing quiet line test as described by @B13blues 

if no dial tone then report a phone fault to 151  if dial tone but noise on quiet line test then report phone fault to 151

you need to use the test socket to eliminate any internal wiring  test socket is behind the removable front plate on the master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Starwire
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution
I think there’s a lot of confusion when it comes to the demarcation point and that no one will be charged if the fault exists before the NTE, this is not true.

Openreach will only accept responsibility for Wiring/Equipment they have installed. If DIY Dave replaced the Lead In Cable from the outside fixing to the NTE 2 days, 2 months, 2 year s or even 20 years ago and it’s now faulty Openreach will charge their customer for the work. Whether the CP then pass that charge onto the End User is up to them.
hodges926
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution
Thanks for the reply. The ex wife is going to drop her spare land-line round later so I'll try that. In the meantime I have directly connected the hub, via the micro filter, to the test socket and still I get the purple flashing light. Makes me think the issue is with the master socket, which is BT's responsibility to maintain I believe? So if its that, no £85 fee to fix?
0 Ratings
hodges926
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution
Understood. But there have been no modifications to equipment or wiring since installation. As it sits right now is exactly how the engineer left it.
0 Ratings
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

As a sidenote it's advisable to keep an old phone for instances such as this.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

you need to test from test socket to be sure it is not your internal wiring that is causing the problem

test socket.jpg

0 Ratings