cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Engineer refused to attend

My parents phone isn't working. They are over 70, fit and healthy, but not good with technology, but do have a PAYG mobile for emergencies. Contacted BT & an engineer was due yesterday, my mum gave her mobile number & my landline number. The advisor told her that they would attend, but would keep social distancing & may be in full protective outfit, so don't be alarmed. He didn't show up. I rang BT for them & was told the engineer had been to the exchange & deemed a fault between there & the property. He then felt it was unsafe given the Covid-19 to attend the property & that my parents were uncontactable as they only send a text (which he didn't do to my mum's mobile). He hadn't actually been to outside my parents house (he would have seen that they have a front garden where he could have rung the bell & retreated to the gate to talk to them & then been told the box is right by the front door, so they could have gone back into the house, closed the door & left him to it). I spoke to a rude advisor who told me that the next engineer slot would be 20th April (12 days time) & that they could refuse again & that he need to end the call to deal with more vulnerable customers, he also told me that it wasn't worth complaining as any solution was unrealistic & they wouldn't deal with a complaint for 3 months  - I will be complaining anyway. I live 200 miles away, they don't have the internet & I top up the credit on their mobile. The home phone is their lifeline - can BT (Openreach) refuse?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Engineer refused to attend

@Summer5678 

Can you please confirm that BT Retail is their service provider?

Openreach are not allowed to go inside properties during the current crisis.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 7

Openreach have been told to not enter peoples homes.

They are putting a team of volunteers together to do that but its taking time as understandably they’re having issues getting hold of the necessary PPE.

Although this will be for Vulnerable and Key Workers only who have no other means of contact.

I doubt your grandparents will fall into that category as you yourself said they are,

’They are over 70, fit and healthy, but not good with technology, but do have a PAYG mobile for emergencies.’

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Have your parents done of the self help checking. Do they have another phone they could try,

The engineer should have at least proved the line was working to the last accessible point albeit a pole outside or as you say the external connection box. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Yes, they tested another phone in the socket and it didn't work and I thought they could have tested at the pole - which is outside next doors house, but got told it was all one wire from the exchange so he didn't need to

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

They are BT retail. My mum was told they could go in providing they kept distance. Could/should he have tested to the pole outside the house?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Technically yes but you’ve got to bear in mind yesterday was the day before a Bank Holiday weekend.

There’s Friday Jobs then there’s Day Before Bank Holiday Jobs.

0 Ratings