Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anniemac
Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Ex-directory problem

Go to solution

My landline number is ex-directory.  When I try to phone my sister, I get a message saying "The number you are phoning does not accept anonymous calls".

My sister is with Vodafone.  She has not put a block on ex-directory calls and is ex-directory herself.  Vodafone checked her account and could find no reason for this to happen.

I am able to call all other numbers without a problem.  

Does anyone have any idea what is happening here?  

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 17

Re: Ex-directory problem

Go to solution

It's probably because your number is being withheld, nothing to do with being ex-directory. This can be done call by call by dialling 141 before the number, or BT can withhold your number on all calls if requested. It sounds like the latter applies in your case and you can test this by calling your sister and dialling 1470 before her number, which would override the automatic withhold. You can remove the automatic withhold by calling 0800 800 150.

Have a look here.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @anniemac,

The advice @pottyperson is really good, it does sounds like your number is being withheld. Please give what @pottyperson suggested a try and let me know how you get on?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

If you haver a mobile phone give it a call from your landline and check what is displayed on the screen of your mobile. If it shows witheld or unavailable your home number is being witheld.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Highlighted
anniemac
Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you  Devon_Dave.   I have just tried what you suggested.  My mobile rang out with message 'No Caller ID'.  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

@anniemac That would indicate that your number is being withheld when you make a call.  As @pottyperson has mentioned if you dial 1470 before the number it should display. You could try calling your mobile again with the 1470 prefix to test it.

0 Ratings
anniemac
Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Hi Neil.  Have you come to resolve my problems again? (previously Fife, lots of phone and line problems there, you might remember) now moved to East Midlands.  

Tonight, I typed 1470 before number when dialling from landline to mobile and yes, it rang and showed my name.    

When I phoned BT 0800 help number this morning I was told by BT who checked my line, that calls are not blocked or withheld, and I only have the normal ex-directory status, not showing my number.  It should ring in my sister's house and show that the number is withheld (the number not the call he said).  "The problem comes from Vodafone".

I have left a message for my sister but  have not heard back from her yet.  I was hoping for some input before replying here.

I have been ex-directory for 15 years or so, and have had no problems previously.  Surely something needs fixing at the Vodafone customer end - this is NOT a BT problem.

I really am grateful for the input from you all, expert customers and moderators.

Anne

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
Is your line rental with BT or vodaphone?

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

You should be able to get the "number withheld" option removed by following this post https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Ex-directory-problem/m-p/1944971#M65129

Its possibly been put on by mistake.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @anniemac  thanks for checking that as advised by Neil and that proves that your number is withheld. We will be happy to help you get this removed from your line. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team. 
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Cheers
John

0 Ratings