Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 17

Re: Ex-directory problem

Go to solution

@anniemacwrote:

Hi Neil.  Have you come to resolve my problems again? (previously Fife, lots of phone and line problems there, you might remember) now moved to East Midlands.  

Tonight, I typed 1470 before number when dialling from landline to mobile and yes, it rang and showed my name.    

When I phoned BT 0800 help number this morning I was told by BT who checked my line, that calls are not blocked or withheld, and I only have the normal ex-directory status, not showing my number.  It should ring in my sister's house and show that the number is withheld (the number not the call he said).  "The problem comes from Vodafone".

I have left a message for my sister but  have not heard back from her yet.  I was hoping for some input before replying here.

I have been ex-directory for 15 years or so, and have had no problems previously.  Surely something needs fixing at the Vodafone customer end - this is NOT a BT problem.

I really am grateful for the input from you all, expert customers and moderators.

Anne

This is clearly "admin controlled withheld" - which BT should have indicated. To say otherwise is pretty appalling. It's not a line problem, but a system function for your particular line data. It's a simple software change to remove the feature.

0 Ratings
anniemac
Contributor
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

I obviously have not been clear enough.  Everyone is advising differently.  So related to this morning's replies ........

I am totally BT - landline, mobile, broadband, everything except TV.    My sister changed from BT to Vodafone perhaps a year ago.

This 'probem' is only related to calls to my sister.   When I phone her landline from my landline, her phone does not ring and she is not aware that anyone is trying to call her.  She tells me there is no missed call, nothing.

When I phone e.g. my son or friends their phones ring, and it says Withheld on the handset screen (if they have that type of handset), and they guess it is me.  No problem there.   I am doing exactly the same with all calls I make.

Is it not strange that my call to my sister does not even make her phone ring?  

I went ex-directory years ago as I was getting so many nuisance calls and it made a huge difference.  I was aware that I showed as Withheld to everyone.  I thought that was part of the security.   It may well have been added by mistake.  However, it has worked well for me for years.  I do not think removing it would resolve the calls to sister problem which only came to light when she complained that I never phone her.

Before we change anything on my system, I will email her and ask her to check with Vodafone and see what they say.  I will report back here immediately I hear anything.  Thank you all for your patience.  I certainly did not intend to cause all this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
anniemac
Contributor
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

My sister has now spoken to Vodafone who need at least 24 hours to contact their higher level technical team, so on hold for 24hrs.  I will update whden I can.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

@anniemac Thanks for keeping the thread updated, it sounds like there may be a service like anonymous caller reject on your sisters Vodafone line preventing withheld calls from getting through.

Some phones like the BT call guardian models have this option as a feature in the handset settings so it may be worth getting her to check that if its not a calling feature on her line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

@anniemacwrote:

This 'probem' is only related to calls to my sister.   When I phone her landline from my landline, her phone does not ring and she is not aware that anyone is trying to call her.  She tells me there is no missed call, nothing.

When I phone e.g. my son or friends their phones ring, and it says Withheld on the handset screen (if they have that type of handset), and they guess it is me.  No problem there.   I am doing exactly the same with all calls I make.

Is it not strange that my call to my sister does not even make her phone ring?  

Thanks for the extra details - in which case this is pretty clear that your sister has a feature called anonymous call rejection. Some companies have tried this, but reverted when they found out that they were getting less business!

The feature prevents calls from being received at the recipient - however I thought the system actually gave an anouncement to the caller to say that the call is being rejected ... but maybe vodafone don't provide that announcement.

I went ex-directory years ago as I was getting so many nuisance calls and it made a huge difference.  I was aware that I showed as Withheld to everyone.  I thought that was part of the security.   It may well have been added by mistake.  However, it has worked well for me for years.  I do not think removing it would resolve the calls to sister problem which only came to light when she complained that I never phone her.

Removing admin controlled withheld from your phone would resolve the issue with your sister, however it would probably also cause the issues you've seen decrease - hence not the answer.

She needs to work out if she actually requires the anonymous call reject feature, in which case all you need to do is release your CLI (calling line identity) when you call her by dialling 1470 in front of her number.

0 Ratings
anniemac
Contributor
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

Apologies for the delay in closing this thread.  Thank you everyone for your helpful input.  

Apparently something has been changed now at the Vodafone end, and my sister can now receive my calls.

This forum is one of the reasons I stay forever with BT.   Such quality help from expert users and access to moderators when needed.  You are a brilliant lot!

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @anniemac thanks for updating the thread, I'm glad that you're sister managed to get is sorted in the end 😀

0 Ratings