Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NandoDave
Message 1 of 4

Extension(s) from junction box, before master socket

Hello,

I just moved into a new rented house and have just requested installation of phone and FTTC broadband. I'm waiting on confirmation of the OR appointment. I had a quick scout around the house to look at the existing wiring setup to see what my chances are of an easy ride. Here is what I found:

1. Phone line enters upstairs front bedroom windowsill.

2. On windowsill is a GPO junction box with the external wire entering and 2 further wires exiting, all through the same grommit.

3. Wire 1 then travels along the skirting board of the bedroom, drops under the carpet and reappears in the second bedroom where it is connected to an Openreach master socket, which is adhered to the wall.

4. Wire 2 dissapears straight from the junction box into the plasterwork. The house has in-wall phone sockets in 3 rooms (including the one with the master socket!).

I took the consumer plate off the front of the master socket and found, as I expected, that no extensions are wired within. I'm therefore expecting that the in-wall phone sockets are living off Wire 2 and are going to cause problems with the FTTC speeds, even though nothing will be plugged into them. I only have use for the master socket.

Does anyone know if an OR engineer will be happy to unhook Wire 2 from the incoming cable in the junction box, and use the second pair in Wire 1 to run an A/B extension back from the master socket to the junction box and connect up to wire 2 A/B?

That way I can have the extensions disconnected as/when I like by unhooking them in the consumer plate, but reinstate them if required in the future.

Or - does anyone have any better ideas?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Extension(s) from junction box, before master socket

If you have an existing openreach phone line does it not just need activation which does not need an engineer visit as done from cabinet. 

The star wiring certainly will have adverse affect on your broadband.  If you did engineer visit I think he would just disconnect the extension wiring leaving conenction to master in junction box on windowsill

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NandoDave
Message 3 of 4

I believe the line was last used with an LLU provider and has been stopped or ceased, not sure if that has a bearing on things.

Provider is John Lewis BB (rebranded Plusnet). Hopefully not too cheeky asking on here, its just a lot of the wiring questions get answered so competently.

Should I get in touch with the provider to advise of existing wiring - it all looks to be in good order. They've given me 11 working days for an OR engineer visit, so if it's cabinet/exchange only and can be done sooner, I'd prefer that.

As the star wiring is before the OR master socket, would it qualify as a free visit to fix if I can't meet the minimum access speed in the future?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

check with John Lewis about your connection  any connection at junction box as you describe has been done by customer as engineer would not make that conenction  normally charged for problems caused by customer  again back to john lewis

as you say this forumis for BT Retail customers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings