cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

External BT Box broken

Hello

On the external wall of my building  there is an old BT box which has completely burst open and has several cables sticking out - including a thin white cable which seems to go inside my property (photo below).

Who do i need to speak to at BT to get this box get inspected and repaired asap?

Many thanks

IMG_9435.PNG

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: External BT Box broken

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 5

On the Openreach website and the link you shared, it talks about reporting damage to equipment like poles, cabinets, manholes. It doesn't show anything similar to the box, which is attached to the external wall of my building.

It was my understanding that one is supposed to contact the service provider directly about anything that is on private property?

The logo on the box cover has a 'T' with three dots in top right - it seems to be a Fibreglass telecoms marking. I think this means it belongs BT?

Apologies if i am mistaken - i just don't know who i need to speak to in a case like this!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@SarahJB1 wrote:

On the Openreach website and the link you shared, it talks about reporting damage to equipment like poles, cabinets, manholes. It doesn't show anything similar to the box, which is attached to the external wall of my building.

It was my understanding that one is supposed to contact the service provider directly about anything that is on private property?

The logo on the box cover has a 'T' with three dots in top right - it seems to be a Fibreglass telecoms marking. I think this means it belongs BT?

Apologies if i am mistaken - i just don't know who i need to speak to in a case like this!

All of the old legacy boxes would have the BT markings, as they were installed before Openreach took over the provision and maintenance of the external network.

BT do not look after the external network any more.

Just give Openreach a call, as they would prefer to know about it before more damage occurs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 5

That’s a BT76 or as some call it the ‘Coffin Block’ or ‘Darth Vader’.

Anyhow, it’s not broken. It’s just the lid has come off.