cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 101 of 131

Re: Fake phone call from BT - broadband will be cut off today

If you want to block 100% of scam and nuisance calls get a call blocking phone.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 102 of 131

This is good advice as I would suspect that any system which simply blocks by sending the call to voicemail is recognised by the dialling systems as a "live line", and so the calls will continue.

I'll add the "alternative" which is to pay for the Do Not Disturb+VIP List addon to BT Call Protect, at £3.50 per month!

Set your account to block ALL calls 24/7 and then populate your VIP List with only those calls you want to get through (eg family/friends/doctors/services etc)

Here's my mother's tally so far - it does work!

Junk.JPG

Rob.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 103 of 131

I can't find the article by one of the Moderators that asked us to log with BT the phone numbers used by these people. Is it still kept by them?

We've just had another one, 01943 043117 but my wife used Block instead of letting me use my preferred solution - a long large blast on a referees whistle, an Acme Thunderer.

I used to reply in a Chinese accent that they were lacist, as I don't have blordbland. They usually then hung up. Sad? Yup but it made me feel better!.

0 Ratings
Catspaw666
Beginner
Message 104 of 131

Brilliant! Thank you....your advice is light years ahead of BT's feedback 

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 105 of 131

You can report here ...

https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/

Not sure what good it does really as the scammers change their numbers all the time - well their computer does!

And, they often use quite legitimate numbers (just by chance!), so BT can't block them anyway! I did report religiously every day, 12-35 per week, from when it started. But got fed up with not knowing if it was worth doing and what was being done.

Rob.

0 Ratings
jenks52
Beginner
Message 106 of 131

We seem to have stopped receiving these, but now there is a new one...

Same computer generated voice, this time they say that my Amazon Prime account will be renewed and £39.00 charged to my card. 

Not very convincing, I have Amazon Prime and it costs a lot more than £39.00. I guess they are trying to frighten people who don't have Amazon Prime as there is an invitation to "Press 2" to talk to the Supervisor.  

As ever, the number that appears on the phone looks real, but isn't. 

I wonder what will be next?

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 107 of 131

Have you had the "Telephone Preference Management Service"?? Asks if you are registered with TPS? You say "yes", they say "Great. Has it reduced the nuisance calls?" (sic). You say "yes, I think so". They then say, "to continue getting this great service please give us your card details so we can renew your subscription for another year".

Nice scam!

Rob.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 108 of 131

@ChasCwrote:

I ignored them and hung up. I suspect that if you press '1' or '2' as requested you'll get a recorded rambling on a premium service line racking up the charges to their account.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Pressing a digit will NOT incur any cost. It's a myth that's still peddled and completely false.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 109 of 131

@Andy_N wrote:

@ChasCwrote:

I ignored them and hung up. I suspect that if you press '1' or '2' as requested you'll get a recorded rambling on a premium service line racking up the charges to their account.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Pressing a digit will NOT incur any cost. It's a myth that's still peddled and completely false.

What it does do though is tell the scammers that they have dialled an active number and as a result you will probably receive far more of that type of call.

BT will NEVER call you to tell you that you have a problem with your broadband. If you remotely think any call is a scam  just HANG UP.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 110 of 131

But … as I asked above … will the voicemail takeover tell the scammers it's an active line? Probably, and so it goes on ...

Rob.

0 Ratings