cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Allister
Beginner
Message 81 of 110

Re: Fake phone call from BT - broadband will be cut off today

After several automated calls, just received one from a young lady called Anna, usual thing, internet provider has been compromised, internet about to be shut off etc. The phone number used was 01726 812013.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 82 of 110

0 Ratings
Kevin2
Message 83 of 110

I have had two of these today. Can anyone suggest a way of stopping this as it is happening quite frequently now?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 84 of 110

@Kevin2 wrote:

I have had two of these today. Can anyone suggest a way of stopping this as it is happening quite frequently now?

If you are a BT Retail customer, then you could add BT Call Protect which can help.

The easiest solution is a call blocking phone which has Call Guardian included. That can be programmed to reject any number that is not stored in the phone.

Phones like the BT4600 forces all callers whose numbers  are not stored in the internal phone directory, to announce themselves first. You can also block numbers, but there are probably too many.

From the manual.

They will hear, “Callers to this number are being screened by a
BT Call Blocking phone please say your name after the tone and then press # and
wait to be connected”. Those on your Blocked list will hear, “Callers to this number
are being screened by a BT Call Blocking phone, the person you are calling isn’t
accepting your call. Please hang up”).

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 85 of 110

The alternative to a call blocking phone is to use the free BT Call Protect and add on the do Not Disturb + VIP List which costs £3.50 per month. This lets you set your phone to block (send to voicemail) ALL calls 24/7. You can then set up a VIP List of numbers which are allowed through and will ring your phone - e.g. friends/family/services/doctors etc.

You can listen to your voicemail should you think you have missed a call.

Works 100% - e.g. my mum's phone has sent 732 calls to voicemail to date (all unwanted scam/nuisance calls!).

Rob.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 86 of 110

@RobFletcher 

I think that is only any good for BT Retail customers, as some of the people posting here, are with other providers and have come here thinking its BT causing the problem.

It actually says Call Protect is for BT Retail customers only.

Its possible that other providers have a similar call blocking system, but they would have to ask their own providers.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 87 of 110

Yeah, I was assuming that being  a BT Forum that most users would be BT customers! But, yes, other telecoms providers may have their own systems - failing that, the call blocking phones are probably the way to go these days.

Rob.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 88 of 110

Its a public misconception that BT has everything to do with phones, which is why they seek out this forum. I usually ask people if they are in fact BT Retail customers before offering too much advice, as it may not apply to their own provider.

What they should be doing is complaining to their own providers, and asking them what they intend to do about fake calls from BT,  Openreach, banks, HRMC, DWP etc. The list is endless.

0 Ratings
Kevin2
Message 89 of 110

Hi Keith - many thanks for your reply. I am a BT customer but I do realise that this is not the fault of BT. I seem to be on a loop as once a week I am receiving 2 to 5 of these calls and then they stop for another week. I have to be careful about blocking calls as I work from home and my phone is an integral part of that. I will look further into the advice you have given - Kind Regards - Kevin
0 Ratings
Kevin2
Message 90 of 110

Hi Rob and thanks for your reply. I am a BT customer and I will look into your advice about call blocking phones. Kind Regards - Kevin
0 Ratings