Here are more numbers to add to the list of numbers using this scam :-

+4420 15786935, +4420 62946026, +4420 98796035

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 42

Re: Fake phone call from BT - broadband will be cut off today

@pompey1898wrote:

Those numbers are not using the scam, they are spoofed by scammers using VoIP systems. In fact the last two are not even in the list of OFCOM number ranges.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 42

@PaulSDwrote:

Just had a similar call but automated voice from x (Bodmin number apparently). I hung up.

The number is spoofed, and is actually showing as protected on the Ofcom number ranges

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 14 of 42

@Andy_Nwrote:

@pompey1898wrote:

Those numbers are not using the scam, they are spoofed by scammers using VoIP systems. In fact the last two are not even in the list of OFCOM number ranges.Where does one get these from ?

Hi @Andy_N,

Not quite sure what you are saying there as there appears to be some contradiction ?

Who/what ever they are they were claiming one would lose phone or broadband unless one pressed a number.  I did not waste time listening to the whole message, immediately hung up and added them to my blacklist.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 15 of 42

@pompey1898 wrote:

@Andy_Nwrote:

@pompey1898wrote:

Those numbers are not using the scam, they are spoofed by scammers using VoIP systems. In fact the last two are not even in the list of OFCOM number ranges.Where does one get these from ?

Hi @Andy_N,

Not quite sure what you are saying there as there appears to be some contradiction ?

Who/what ever they are they were claiming one would lose phone or broadband unless one pressed a number.  I did not waste time listening to the whole message, immediately hung up and added them to my blacklist.

Don't even bother blacklisting them - just hang up. Mind you, if you have a call blocking device which can block many more numbers than BT Call Protect, then you can press the red button and block. If the same number keeps calling then you delete and transfer them to Call Protect.  At least that way it builds up BT's Database. This happened with a frequent home improvement company caller. Their calls now divert to junk - no more need to blacklist.

It sometimes helps to check on a website which gives a reputation status of nuisance calers.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 42

i've just had one of these - the latest in an interminable number of them, up to six times a day. I have two old-fashioned dial-type phones right next to one another, one digital, one analog (long story). Last week, after keeping the bogus caller hanging on for a minute or so, I got both handsets to do a "69" and there was a lovely howl of feedback - the caller hung up. Today, after selecting option 2 (Yes, Please Disconnect My Internet Broadband") , a sub-continental-sounding voice started saying "Hallo..........?Halloo..............??"  In my best Super-Soft Voice-Over Man tones I started to repeat "Please hold the line - we are trying to connect you - your call is important to us" (about four times) then "just so you know, all these calls are recorded for training and monitoring purposes and, right now, for your security, this call is being traced back to its proper source". I'm sure I then just heard a voice quietly mutter "Ah f*** off" and the line went dead. Yes, all these calls seem to come from Bodmin, Birmingham, Northern Oireland or "Have Not Been Recognised!!" They very rarely respond to 1571-3. My ploy might be worth a try, though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 42

@pompey1898wrote:

@Andy_Nwrote:

@pompey1898wrote:

Hi @Andy_N,

Hi.

The numbers quoted are spoofed, and can actually be real people's numbers. Those people are not involved in the scam.

As for the number ranges, a simple search for

ofcom number ranges

will get to a page of spreasheets which anyone can download.

0 Ratings
Patrick2
Message 18 of 42

2 scam phone calls: 1. 9.59 am Digitally mechanised American voice saying broadband will be cut off. Caller number 01232 631199

14.31 pm Same message same voice Caller number 01244 239238 (Chester area)

0 Ratings
Lorraine1
Message 19 of 42

Two fake calls today recorded message saying my BT service was being stopped and to press 1 for BT or 2 for other server.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 42

@Patrick2wrote:

2 scam phone calls: 1. 9.59 am Digitally mechanised American voice saying broadband will be cut off. Caller number x

14.31 pm Same message same voice Caller number x (Chester area)

Hi, welcome to the forums

Please note that the calls are NOT from those numbers, they have been spoofed by scammers using VoIP systems.

0 Ratings