Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 51 of 98

Re: Fake phone call from BT - broadband will be cut off today

@jenks52 wrote:

untill there is international agreement to allow Openreach to block incoomming overseas

What have Openreach go to do with it, they only look after the local network?

0 Ratings
Chris_Sav
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 98

And thereby hangs a tale!

No chance of getting multiple providers to coordinate.

Would rather see helpful posts than just criticism. Incicentally, mine have stopped for the last few days (silent prayer)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 53 of 98

@jenks52wrote:

These calls, from an autmated machine voice, have returned with a vengence for 2019. 

The displayed number is always different, so blocking them isn't worth the effort. 

It seems to me that unless and untill there is international agreement to allow Openreach to block incoomming overseas calls that do not have a valid and traceable number nothing can stop them. Increasingly we don't use the land line: so far mobiles seem not to be targetted in this way. 

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Openreach run the infrastructure and not exchange software for call routing.

As it happens, these scammers use VoIP systems and spoof the called from number. Therefore the injection point is IP gateways. They are not necessarily overseas calls.

Checking a number that is calling to make sure it's valid would probably be too much of an overhead for the exchanges, causing delays and potential network congestion. It should be the IP gateways that should be doing more, and the companies that provide this access.

This problem is actually worldwide.

0 Ratings
jenks52
Message 54 of 98

Andy, 

thanks for the information. 

Am I right in suspecting that the IP Gateway operaers are not regulated in a way that would stop this problem? 

I seems to me that if this is a world wide problem it can be considered to be a form of "organised crime" as the people behind the calls want to scam us for money.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 55 of 98

@jenks52wrote:

Andy, 

thanks for the information. 

Am I right in suspecting that the IP Gateway operaers are not regulated in a way that would stop this problem? 

I seems to me that if this is a world wide problem it can be considered to be a form of "organised crime" as the people behind the calls want to scam us for money.  

I don't know how the IP systems integrate with the UK fixed line networks - the PSTN, though I suspect the interface is through the trunk network rather than local exchanges. Skype is a common VoIP system, and for intereset it can be searched on how they make calls to "normal" lines.

With regard the regulation, there has to be something in place in order for the connection to the PSTN to be allowed.

Of course, many firms spoof the numbers - including BT. When they call, they provide the same delivery number rather than the internal extension number the person is calling from. But naturally that's all above board.

0 Ratings
MLJ
Beginner
Message 56 of 98

Had this automated call twice, both different numbers.  Used the 'report scam' but not very impressed with it - can only leave time & date of call, recorded number- unable to leave details or comments. 

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 57 of 98

I have to agree ... my mums phone record shows 670 calls sent to voicemail since we swutched Call Protect on.

However, as you say, blocking/blacklistng now is pretty much useless with the scammers chaing their numbers all the time. Alo, to block a call you have to receieve it once - the scammers know this. As I have said before and will say it again - my solution for my mother was to use the Do Not Disturb and VIP part of the Call Protect system. It does cost £3 per month and maybe BT should consider this to be a free service for the elderly.

I block ALL her calls 24/7 and only allow those numbers on her VIP list to ring. I have only had to add extra numbers of services (e.g. ambulance callbacks, doctors alternate numbers) a few times.  Ihave been able to ring those numbers and confirm they did call her, and add their number to the VIP list and ask them to call again if it was an urgent enquiry.

Her phone has been silent from those scam calls ever since. Perfect solution.

If anyone who reads this goes this way, please say so here in the forum, it would be useful to know how it works for you.

Thanks for reading, and I hope your scammers get the voicemail they deserve, and that the Telecoms industry can get their act together to sop these calls and avoid people falling prey to the scams. 

Rob.

0 Ratings
GarryJ
Aspiring Expert
Message 58 of 98

0 Ratings
Moe70
Contributor
Message 59 of 98

I've been getting over 10 calls per day from this number for nearly a week now. I had blocked them but the call comes through still. What I've had to do is to turn the volume button off on the phone so I can't hear it ringing, hoping that eventually the numbers stops. It is actually the BT Messaging Service so I've gone into that and turned that off. I've only had three calls so far this morning, but when we block calls, they shouldn't be allowed to get through on our number. I do block all calls if they don't leaves message on the answer machine, but these keep coming through. There is no way to stop these calls fully.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 60 of 98

Some of the BT call blocking phones have a "Do Not Disturb" setting, which blocks all calls unless they are on your VIP list, so that may be an option.

0 Ratings