Removed re posted
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
dicampo
Message 2 of 8

Fault in house or not?

So...
Broadband drops randomly and returns
Next broadband drops randomly returns when re started ie mains plug to router out in
Next phone line crackles
Line test comes back ok
Rigmarole with removing front plate (see zillion other posts ) indicates fault at or beyond box
No phone or broadband now so start replying to texts...1 or 2 per day
5 days later broadband now intermittent no phone. Internet check on BT site reveals broadband problem in the area.
Phone does not work
HELLO BT?
This is the third time now that we have had this "problem is in the house " line ( when it was not) and looking on here we are far from alone. BT clearly happy to let the customer do as much of the run around as they can get away with. This includes the seventh circle of hell "if you want to know about Dante press 1" phone algorithms.
Suggest anyone who is charged for an engineer call that is deemed unnecessary let it get to court and use BT 's own forum as evidence of abject failure to distinguish on their part what is and isn't a customer responsibility.
There...rant over...that feels so much better.
Meanwhile who knows someone high up at bt might move in to our area and this will magically go away? ;-)) x
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Re: Fault in house or not?

The line tester is not very accurate, and most times a fault in or near the house, is in the street cabinet or on the pole.

This is the charging guide.

Engineer visits – information and charges

You must live in an area with a poor Openreach external network, there are plenty of areas like that Smiley Sad

dicampo
Message 4 of 8

Thanks confirms my experience, they must be aware of that when they expect customers to crawl round in dark corners on hands and knees (at my tender age not easy) taking front plates off .
0 Ratings
dicampo
Message 5 of 8

Sorry about rubbish editing cannot use PC or keyboard and eyesight does not meet spec for touchscreen typing.
When I sus out how to remove this I will so do.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

Although crawling around removing front plate from a NTE5 master socket may be a pain but it could save the bill payer a lot of money, Openreach are not responsible for what's connected the the line, so by checking at the test socket you effectively disconnect all extension wiring and equipment that OR are not responsible for....the alternative is to not do this and trust to luck, but if the OR discovers that say for example a faulty extension phone or TV box is plugged into the line and causing the problem, all they would do is disconnect the offending device and charge you about £130 ...5 mins to prove or potential £130 charge, I know what I would do
dicampo
Message 7 of 8

True, And by that logic we should be waterproof but they are still insisting that the input is OK. We have had this before , twice, and they do not investigate their bit properly until we have been thro the rigmarole. Then the engineer knocks on the door cheerfully announces a CAB has been fixed up the road and he doesn't need to come in or do anything else. This was reported On Mon 27th with that added info and they still haven't checked out the bit they didn't check properly last time. I will be livid if it is the same this time even if I don't have to pay! It is the service I need! Too many algorithms and not enough initiative/ common sense / responsive listening.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
dicampo
Message 8 of 8

So .....4/01/2014 An engineer calls and fixes problem which is between two telegraph poles somewhere up the street.

As predicted and indicated by socket test ...not in house. Why didnt they investigate that earlier given the patently inadequate results from the so called line test? The line cannot be OK and not OK at the same time yet their tests indicated just that.

Open Reach engineer says not to wait for device to recalibrate stable broadband speed but to ring BT instead. BT man says he cannot do that but only after having me rebooting modems routers etc. Why didn't he listen when I asked him if it was possible? Another case of blind script following.

So.. another wait ..72 hrs .. for the device to establish a stable connecting speed.

0 Ratings