cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patrick_1
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Fault noisy

The system  bt operateis certainly not user friendly I have had a noisy  line for months & months many engineer  visits & tests on the line all coming back no fault on line they go away close the case noise is still there sometimes you can't here the person the other end EVEN the call center people in India my next step after the next visit on Friday is the telephone OMBUDSMAN

All this happened  since BT install my infinity broadband 

Anyone else  had this problem 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Fault noisy

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
KathB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Yes patrick_1

I also have a fault of crackling on the line.  This has been happening intermittently for well over a year, the last two incidents were at the end of January (within 2 weeks of each other), I have the same problem again now, which is so bad call centre person in India had to call me back on my mobile.

I have had continual intermittent faults with my phone line which manifests itself as extremely crackly, which were historically always cleared outside my property but I have the same problem again and I am now being told that the fault is inside my property and there will probably be a charge of £130 (give or take a penny!) if the problem is inside.  

If this fault originates within my property, I'd like to know HOW has it been possible to clear it OUTSIDE in the past.  All of the engineers have told me (verbally of course nothing in writing) that the previous faults were rectified via the 'junction box' two streets away. When I told the 'customer services' operative in India that, as the customer I will require a complete written report as I now have to consider presenting my complaint to the ombudsman, I was put on hold for a long time and then I was advised to look online at BT.com/faults and the history will be there, the only fault showing is the current 'open' fault.

It's so frustrating!

0 Ratings
patrick_1
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

They try the scare tactic of £130 every time you talk to India then in text messages  from bt saying the fault  is in your property 

EVEN when  their own  engineers  say my equipment  is fine  ,

Our incoming  lines are underground which they are obviously  not to keen on replacing  engineers  coming again tomorrow   what will they say this time Man Sad

0 Ratings
KathB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

I know that the £130 is a scare tactic and to be honest it does do that, but would a person really call them out if the fault they were reporting was bogus? Also the fact that the equipment which receives within the property with the exception of the telephone itself  i.e cable from telegraph pole to house and wall socket, infinity router etc is equipment supplied by them, why does it then become the customer's responsibility? The only time the customer should be charged is if they have physically damaged the apparatus.

I think that apart from the cable from the telegraph pole to the house all the lines here are also underground and your guess that they don't want to have to replace them is probably absolutely spot-on and instead try to blame the consumer and their equipment!

It really won't be long before I decide to chop them altogether and move to a different supplier.

Hope your fault is rectified soon

0 Ratings
patrick_1
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Thanks for the moral support I somehow doubt tomorrow will get a result that is satisfactory to me but i will keep ringing and  complaining  every time it starts to crackle

You talk of changing suppliers it will still be bt openreach who come out to fault & diagnosis Robot Frustrated

0 Ratings
KathB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Oh no!!  Does Virgin use BT lines? I thought they used the old Telewest cabling (?)  OMG it's like heads they win and tails I lose!!!

In that case I will just have to do the same as you and keep calling them out and building a file to take to the ombudsman or possibly Watchdog.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

The charge is purely an advisory if you connect a phone to the test socket and the fault exists there then the visit is not chargeable you are only responsible for any internal extensions
0 Ratings
KathB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Thanks for that John46.

The problem I have is that I have arthritis in my fingers and cannot undo the screws on the socket to be able to do the test. The last person to open the box was the BT Openreach engineer when I had the same fault in January (when he found no fault inside my property). The screws are very tight! 

Because, on this occasion my caller ID had stopped working as well, I did go out and buy a new phone, which made absolutely no difference to the crackling noise on the line or the caller ID.  However, strangely enough, an hour or so after speaking to India, the caller ID suddenly started working again despite them telling me it was all part of the same problem! When that sort of thing happens it's little wonder that I find it difficult to believe anything they say. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

could you ask a friend or family member who could try the test socket just to eliminate charge risks
0 Ratings