Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

GPO box

Go to solution

Hi All,

Hoping you can help me on this.

My broadband and phone fine, haven't had any issues as such.

However we are getting a new door fitting and installation company won't do work due to the GPO junction box cover missing a wires showing and a few not connected. (please see pic attached) its on top of the door frame - I've tried to contact BT but with no help at all.

On the web chat the lady told me to just cut the wires if everything is working...

BT.jpg

Question is can I just replace this myself ? is it a fire hazard with the wires not being connected?

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: GPO box

Go to solution

@mec9 

Who provides your phone service?

Do not cut the wires, as you are likely to lose your phone line.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe Thanks for getting back to me.

BT are my providers 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

is is BT that provides your broadband?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Thats correct BT provides broadband

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Looking at that box, I would guess that is where your line comes in from outside, would that be the case?

If so, you will have to contact BT, and ask for an internal shift of the wiring. They will ask Openreach to do that, and there will be a charge.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

you could try local for a telecom engineer to move it and cheaper than openreach - and probably quicker

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

yeah the line comes in from outside, if this was to get replaced with just another box do you know what type of box would be required? BT/Openreach will take too long to book in, front door is ready to be installed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

probably 77a or 78a

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

If there is only a single pair connected through, then a junction box is not needed, as the external and internal cable can be joined together using wire crimps.

Probably easier to get someone locally, as @imjolly  suggested.