cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
T21JMF
Message 1 of 7

Getting a new number

Go to solution

Just wondering how easy it is to get a new phone number?

We moved into our new home in June and it took about three weeks to get the phones activated and a little longer for the internet. The first phone call we had was on the morning the phone was activated and about government grants for boilers, I was so annoyed! Since then we’ve had no end of marketing calls and silent calls at all times of day and night. Also a number of calls for someone else, not who previously lived here either. We registered as ex-directory and on the TPS when we ordered the phone initially. I have since found out after one marketing call that the number we have been given belonged to a farm up the road who had several businesses running from there which sold a few years back. When you google the farm name our number still comes up being associated with it. This could be a reason why the calls are happening and if that’s the case I’d like the number changed as I’ve never had calls as bad as this before.

Appreciate any advice,

Thank you.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Getting a new number

Go to solution

Call 0800 800 150.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Renumbers can be done, but tend not to be done for free, so you may want to compare the cost of a renumber ( the new number won't be immune from marketing calls, no number is, but obviously you should stop getting calls for the previous 'owner' of your current number, with the cost of a call blocking phone.
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Would probably be cheaper to get a call blocker phone and get BT call protect. Changing phone number would not necessarily stop these type of calls
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
T21JMF
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you, I have looked at the call blocking phones and think it may possibly be the easier options.

Thank you for the replies.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
wdblue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

We applied for a new number earlier in the year. As we were doing it for voluntary reasons (no fault of BT) the fee was £25. They add it to your next bill.  Must say the process was very slick: dealt with by the UK call centre and all switched over within a few days.

I was worried about the new number having been used by someone who attracted junk calls - like yours is - but the previous owner must've had a quiet life and we've had none.

The only tricky bit is remembering the new number!

pompey1898
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@T21JMF wrote:

Thank you, I have looked at the call blocking phones and think it may possibly be the easier options.

Thank you for the replies.

BT Call Protect is much cheaper and works pretty much just as well.  I bought call blocking phones ( needed new phones anyway ) before I was aware of Call Prtoect but have never bothered to set call barring up.